• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for Quad core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluetime

Hi all,
i need your advices for my Q6600 cooling.
info:Q6600 @ max3.5ghz max1.5v (vid.1.275).

i can buy those models;
-Thermalright cogage true spirit
-Sunbeam core contact freezer
-Gelid TRANQUILLO
-ZEROTHERM FZ120
-AKASA AK-967 Nero
-AEROCOOL DCC 1200
-XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

my choises in order of importance;
1-performance
2-silence
3-supporting platforms (for both my new 1156 or 1366 system in future and for sale secondary markets)

Last edited:
Hi, and :welcome: to OCF.

Sorry someone didn't get here earlier. Of what you listed, the Thermalright Cogage is probably going to be the best solution, although not the cheapest nor is it small. It will perform very well, as for quietness, that all depends on your definition of silence. In my opinion, if your looking to overclock, then don't expect to use a fan with less than 1800 RPMs and still keep up with the best overclocks. It will support both platforms in the future, although attaching it really depends alot on your case and how tall your RAM sinks are.

The Xigmatek is by far the best budget cooler you have listed there, at least in my opinion. Although it manages to cool the Q6600 quite well, (I had both the Q6600 and the Xiggy) it has a harder time keeping up with the processors on the 1156 and 1366 platforms. Skip the Xiggy unless money is an issue.

Three other coolers not listed that you may look into are the Venomous X, the Meghalems Shadow and the Noctua D-14. All are high end air coolers which will meet your needs. The Venoumous X is the TRUE's successor and does very well. The Noctua, although pricey is also at the top of the pile, and the Meghalems although I have no first hand knowledge seems to get a thumbs up from everyone who owns it. The benefit from the Venomous X is you get to pick your own fans. The Noctua comes with Noctua (who are known for high performance low noise fans).

If maximum performance and silence are both on your mind, then your best bet is to pick a cooler and then select your own fans. Then in addition add a Fan controller (Sunbeam Rheobus or Rheobus extreme). That way you can turn down the fans for the silence you desire. And turn them up with Performance is what you want.

I hope this helps and again, welcome to OCF.

For me, it's a tie between the Cogage True Spirit and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283.

The True Spirit is a great cooler for the $$ though. There are better choices out there, but will cost at least double.

I really wouldn't waste any money on any of those.. The Freezer 7 would work for you and the Dark Knight would be a great solution, but all of those listed are mediocre at best.

I almost swear on the H50 as being the best value since that's all I use for builds now just because it's not much more than the best air cooler and is an awesome solution.

Back