• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with a 9800 GX2 & GTX 285?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

So, I was running two 9800 GX2's in SLi. One fried, EVGA replaced it with a GTX 285 (thanks EVGA.. awesome support folks! :salute:)

whilst in fry's last week, another customer gave the advice to put the GTX 285 in the primary spot and run the 9800 GX2 in the secondary slot as a physx processor. What do you guys think? any and all ideas or recommendations are welcome :clap:

pretty much still playing cod4 like it's a job. Just got BC2 & MW2. I don't play lots of games, but I do play my games a lot.

also, I have the following parts in a closet atm:
i7 920
PQI 64GB SSD
Antec P180B

A seperate PhysX card is a 'meh' idea to me. Do you play any PhysX enabled games really? Something that the GTX285 couldnt handle on its own?

Maybe sell that 980gx2 and just get a 9800gt for physX. Half the power consumption really and physX doesnt need an antiquated dual card beast.

A seperate PhysX card is a 'meh' idea to me. Do you play any PhysX enabled games really? Something that the GTX285 couldnt handle on its own?

Maybe sell that 980gx2 and just get a 9800gt for physX. Half the power consumption really and physX doesnt need an antiquated dual card beast.

+1 to that.

Or you could build a 2nd system w/ those other parts in the closet. Personally, I'd sell it anyway and get something more efficient if you want that 2nd PC for some reason, but I'm also a little biased against the dual-GPU cards.

yeah, 2nd system sounds good. i'll run some numbers on different build options and see what makes sense. if the 9800 gx2 has to go then i'll sell it cheap here or just put it on ebay

thank you, gentlemen

Back