• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interfacing mic to stereo system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tianshiz

I recently bought the Sony Mini HiFi Sound system:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665811691

It's sound is awesome! Now I want to do karaoke with those giant speakers. So basically I need a way to hook up a microphone to it. Unfortunately, the only analog input on the thing is the aux in on the system. There's individual wires on the back of the speakers which I assume could be used without the center system to connect to the mic, but I'd rather not do that if possible.

I can easily play music from a mp3 player or my computer through the aux in, so is there such a thing as a converter that takes in mike input and then converts it to a readable form for aux in?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: another alternative would be to hook up a standard pc mike to my laptop and then feed the output to the stereo system. Only problem i've had is the significant delay time. guess my sound card is weak.... no idea how to bypass this

Last edited:
Get a cheap mixer (under $50 at Guitar Center, or comparable retailer of musical equipment) with phantom power (which boosts the mic input). Then from the mixer you run a line into the stereo.

A preamp is simply the amplifier stage that increases the very low Mic Level signal to a stronger Line Level signal. You'll likely need a MIXER (which also has a mic preamp) as stated unless your Sony AVR has mixing capabilities. Otherwise, when you select the Mic on the AVR, you won't hear your music. You'll need to plug the mic AND your source device (cd-player, iPod, etc) into the mixer - then feed the mixer into the AVR - then you'll hear mic and music at once (adjust balance of Mic to Music on the Mixer). The cheap Behringer stuff will probably do in this scenario - look for the ones that have the effects built in...

You could also use your PC's Mic input for cheaper mics with 1/8" connections - and use the PC's media player and mixer for this - and feed the PC's output into the AVR's AUX input. Or you can get MUCH more elaborate if desired ;)

:cool:

Back