• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 5870 @ Stock Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Is the ATI HD 5870 (without overclocking) safe to run at stock cooling without any additional aftermarket cooling solutions?

ROFLMAO...YES! Its MADE for that man! Do you think a company would put out a product that wont run out of the box?

The 5870 can take a massive OC, and even some extra voltage and still do great on the stock cooler. A little bump on the fan speed will help as well.

Some have... the GTX 480 isn't what i would consider "safe" to run with stock cooling.
:santa: I was waiting for that to come out...and maybe that was the basis for his question. But the 480 still runs fine doesnt it? I mean who knows now in summer and when it gets dusty but....... :chair:

You're asking if stock cooling, at stock speeds, is safe to run? As though some company would manufacture, sell, and cover under warranty at their own expense millions of cards that would crap out or melt down under normal use? Forgive my disbelief over that question, but I'm curious as to why anyone would ask such a thing!

Some have... the GTX 480 isn't what i would consider "safe" to run with stock cooling.

Temps may be higher than what you consider comfortable based on your experience with other cards, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't take the heat.

This question is....

Sigh YES it will be safe.

To be honest, no need to make fun of the question guys. It's a concern everyone can have.. Not everyone knows everything.

Anyway: Yes, it'll run very cool. Look how I increased the clock loads and bumped up the voltage loads and mine even runs without any issues! Maximum temperatures are around 60.

EDIT: I know mine is a 5850 but it's the same chip :) Your case has decen't cooling as well so I wouldn't worry.

To be honest, no need to make fun of the question guys. It's a concern everyone can have.. Not everyone knows everything.

Anyway: Yes, it'll run very cool. Look how I increased the clock loads and bumped up the voltage loads and mine even runs without any issues! Maximum temperatures are around 60.

EDIT: I know mine is a 5850 but it's the same chip :) Your case has decen't cooling as well so I wouldn't worry.

This was the basis for my question actually. I see the GTX 480 burning a whole through the card running on idle almost and am just concerned about stock cooling and longevity in regards to high-end graphics cards running all the time on stock coolers.

This:
amtrak said:
Temps may be higher than what you consider comfortable based on your experience with other cards, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't take the heat.

Back