• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 8800 GTS can't play 1080p ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svetko

I just bought a canon 7D and realized I can't enjoy its video feature on my computer - the videos barely move.

I tried installing the new drivers, then even reinstalled VLC player, but i'm having the same problem - on both VLC and Win Media Player.

I'm running win 7 ultimate, and my video card is nVidia GeForce 8800GTS with 2GB RAM. (full configuration in my signature).

Now I even notice little stops when watching even videos at 720.

Is it the video card?

I am also curious about this, it was in my understanding that the 8800 series could handle 1080p very easily. I have the feeling there are a few settings you might have to find and change..

i was thinking about the CPU too.. hmm.. does anyone here have the 8800 on a better CPU, to tell us if the 1080p are running smooth there?

Seems like rig1 in your sig should do 1080p just fine, unless it's running out of ram.

Check ram usage while you're trying to play a video, you may be running out.

Hmm we have similar systems and I can playback 1080p content just fine, I thought only the G86 and G92 and newer cores had the hardware required to playback 1080p content? pretty sure the original G80 cores lacked the hardware for it.

How big are these 1080P files (GB/hour), and what format are they in?

Look in my sig at my HTPC. I'm running an 8800GTS-512 in there, and playing back 1080P mkv (~5GB/hr) files is no problem using VLC. However, I mainly use WMC and Sharky's Codec Pack for convenience, and it's not as efficient. Occasionally I get a little stutter in certain scenes in a couple movies.

How big are these 1080P files (GB/hour), and what format are they in?

Look in my sig at my HTPC. I'm running an 8800GTS-512 in there, and playing back 1080P mkv (~5GB/hr) files is no problem using VLC. However, I mainly use WMC and Sharky's Codec Pack for convenience, and it's not as efficient. Occasionally I get a little stutter in certain scenes in a couple movies.

bah, i just noticed they are .mov -- downloaded quick time but it's still messed up, a little more strange though - the audio does not ever break, just the video skips and kinda freezes.

the files are are of these sizes:

526MB for 00:01:34 (minute and a half)
223MB for 56 second one.
1.31GB for 00:04:04 one

i also checked the RAM and CPU usage and both get to exactly the middle, so i guess they should be fine.

is there a diagnostic program i can check my video card with?

CPU usage at middle means that you are taxing one core and not the other. I would say without a doubt that it is your processor holding you back. Unless you can convert and compress those .mov files to something better, you are not going to get anywhere unless you get a new CPU. I have a kodak camera that saves videos as .mov files. I absolutely hate that. They are very large and unwieldy files that hog resources. I haven't found a free solution to it yet.

The G80 GTS didn't have any video offloading capability... that wasn't added until the G92. So you're not getting any hardware acceleration, it's all being decoded by the CPU.

Also, VLC is crap. I'd first try MPC and FFDshow... that'll definitely work fine for 720P (I have an Opty 165, BTW, so I can tell you this first-hand). For 1080P, I'd try the Divx codec, which is supposedly on par with CoreAVC for speed, but is free.

got the Divx codec and it is a little better, but everything you guys say helped and makes complete sense - thanks for the responses!

which program is good to convert from .mov to .mp4 (if possible) with minimum (or none) quality loss? would Adobe Premiere do the job?

Download KM Player. Its free and can play any codec. Once you try KM Player you will never go back.

Back