• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Seti "lock" itself to each machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem1x1

This is wierd, but I installed a new mobo tonight, and I will reformat everything, but I'm to tired to do it, (the wife is bitchin at me to spend some time with her ;)) Anyway, I started Seti and driver just stuck on 0%, spy just states unknown. I can't reinstall because Berkley won't let me access the server. This server thing is really gettin to me. It has actually cost me two machines where I convinced co-workers to run under my name, and then the damn thing wouldn't let me login, so they thought I was being flaky. Maybe I'm just tired, it's been a non-stop day since 4:30 this morning, filled with work-cpu-fubars, but seriously ( sorry to be neagtive) aren't you guys getting tired of the server situation, I mean just think If you had one chance a month to sign up a machine (or two), and berkley screwewd ya like that.
Please tell me your thoughts, everyone, but I need to hear from my leaders on this, and what we might be able to do about it.
Thanks for lettin me rant guys
I'm still crunchin (but only on one machine :():rolleyes: :confused: :eh?:

IT is frustrating, yes. But I heard folding server are no better, they are worst if you even consider switching to folding :D

Well if you think of it, their on campus and the campus would be screaming and yelling at the crew if they were just to go all out bandwidth and steal it all and leave the other student with the slowest connections ever.

Just my 0.02 that there are reasons why they have to do this not because they want to make us complain.

I really don't mind since I wake up at 8 everyday and get a chance to upload my WU's.

Yodums

Forget about seti and go get laid, I mean geez..... seti, or sex... hrm, its not a hard decision here. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, it IS frustrating...and we have all had our share of the problems, just about, but what can you do?

I like the competition we have in the team, and I like seeing OC.Com doing well in the stats, but I really do it for the science- all the rest just makes it better.
The server problems have been a royal pain in the posterior: most have lost crunching time, some have lost completed work units, but at least we can wallow in our pain together:beer:

Don't let it keep you down; forget Seti for a little while...(just keep the computer crunching the best you can) and relax!

This is the second time in the entirety of the seti project that they have had problems that I know of, the first was the cut fiber cable and now this. I really don't think that is a bad track record considering how many millions of results that the project has processed throughout that time.

Spend some time with a loved one, cache the wu's and let crunch, give it some time away and I am certain it will work fine shortly.

J

If you're using Seti Driver and you clear your cmos or switch motherboards you'll have to grab a fresh copy of the program from another machine, delete the cfg file and start over. There's some bug that corrupts the cfg file when you clear your cmos, or have a bad hang, or in your case switch to a new mobo while trying to use the old hard drive install. It's odd I know - start seti driver and it's at 0% progress with the system under full load but no progress is ever shown.

TC said:
If you're using Seti Driver and you clear your cmos or switch motherboards you'll have to grab a fresh copy of the program from another machine, delete the cfg file and start over. There's some bug that corrupts the cfg file when you clear your cmos, or have a bad hang, or in your case switch to a new mobo while trying to use the old hard drive install. It's odd I know - start seti driver and it's at 0% progress with the system under full load but no progress is ever shown.

Thanks TC that got me crunching again, you must have had every problem with Seti imaginable, because you can answer every question I've ever had about Seti! Thanks again.

,...and thanks to everyone else for the comments, although vodka I don't think you quite understood my post the way everyone else did. Or maybe you are alot younger than myself, and that would explain your comment. You see I have loads more respect for my wife than to approach her with that mindset. I know about folding server, and didn't mean to imply I was considering switching to folding, I was simply curious as to what the opinions of others.

Last edited:
You see vodka, when you have a wife as sweet and beautiful as that, you never say,:
/butthead mode
uhhhh, hey babay, uhhhh ya wanna get laid?
/butthead mode

..and I'm just messin with ya man;)

killem1x1 said:
You see vodka, when you have a wife as sweet and beautiful as that, you never say,:
/butthead mode
uhhhh, hey babay, uhhhh ya wanna get laid?
/butthead mode

..and I'm just messin with ya man;)

hahah... Funny Butthead mode :D

No, that would not be a very good attitude to take. I would suggest dinner and a movie. It goes along way with my wife. Marrige is a give and take relationship. Anyone that says anything different is probably not married.

Back