• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard should I get, really lost!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neuro1

Registered
So I am building my first PC and it is going to be a i7-930 build. I have bought the processor and the ram (OCZ gold low voltage 6gb @1600 mhz). I am really confused on which motherboard I should get, I have looked around and found couple of them but can't decide on which one. I have looked at the evga x58 3x sli (the one with the lifetime warranty), Asus P6t, or Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r. I found the evga board for $214, asus for $200, and gigabyte for $180. I want something that would work with my memory as I have heard about compatibility issues. I will do some overclocking to see how it is, want to reach 3.4-3.6 ghz if possible.

Thanks

You get an additional year after it is registered.

The Asus P6T series is great as well. The SE model no longer supports SLI, but I heard the bios can be flashed to change that.

I personally think the P6T SE is the best deal around.

You get an additional year after it is registered..
With Gigabyte you don't have to register and you don't need a receipt or invoice.

Evga has all those loopholes you need register in 30 days you need a receipt or invoice that you have to keep, also it cost about $10 to RMA. All those loopholes for RMA denial form EVGA and it work vary well. I see all the time people that say they did not register in 30 days or don't have there receipt.

Gigabyte and Asus stand behind there products for 3 year warranty and there good for it.

Here is screenies of my stable OC with Gigabyte X58A-UD3R w/i7 930. I really rcommend this board. it is Kick A$$. On 1st screenie the downclock kicked in. It was stressed at 4.41GHz just like 2nd screenie.

prime44stable.png

441.png

just gona have to throw mine in there too!! MSI x58 pro-e ( for an extra $10 u get the usb3 version which is in the link)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...130273&cm_re=MSI_pro_e-_-13-130-273-_-Product

duno about prices in the US compared to other Mobo's but i picked this up pretty cheap and i have to say i haven't looked back, since my past p35 MSI mobo which set me back just £60 and still managed to OC my q6600 to 3.6 ive been a big MSI fan ( shields head from bricks :p ) and this one is no diff, got my i7 920 to 4Ghz easy. Only thing i would say is the chipset cooler is pretty pants, or at least the cpu paste in between it and the chip is terrible. was running at 70 idle, replaced the cpu paste ( which was like chewing gum) with some artic silver and pow my temps dropped by 15c.

but all in all its a wikid mobo, and i highly recommend it :rock:

Last edited:
thanks for the help, can anyone comment on the ram issues with the evga board? Is there any issue with the gigabyte board and OCZ ram?

thanks for the help, can anyone comment on the ram issues with the evga board? Is there any issue with the gigabyte board and OCZ ram?

I have an EVGA x58 SLI x3, over a year old and have had no ram issue that I'm aware of for this particular board. Runs like the energizer bunny overclocked 3.8ghz 24/7. I have always used Corsair sense the BH5 windbond days ha ha. Man i feel old

evga boards do have issues with OCZ, but not EVERY board has them.. most of the times a bios update will eliminate the issue. I frequent the evga forums as well since i have their mobo, and can honestly say that a good 60% of the "memory issues" people see always related to OCZ ram.. sometimes its just settings..

imo if you get evga grab some g.skill or corsair mem to avoid any possible headache and you're fine!

thanks, another question I have is regarding my future plans to crossfire 2 XFX HD 5770. I was wondering if there is enough clearance between 2 of the PCI express slots, I don't want the temps to get too high. Can you recommend me a motherboard with enough room from the ones I have listed (Asus P6t/P6t se, evga 3x sli, Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r, or Asrock x58 Extreme 3). I know this is a motherboard forum but do you think corsair hx650 will be enough for overclocking and running crossfire?

Thanks

500 Watt Power Supply is recommended for CrossFireX 5770 you will be fine for overclocking.

Here is a board with spaced 16x slots and a 3 Warranty

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
LINK:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

I really would not worry about the air getting to your cards if they are stacked. There is a enough room to get plenty of air through and blow it out the back of your case, i've seen plenty of bench test's on this, unless you are going to use a different heat sink fan combo that wont fit.

Ok I viewed the specs off the SAPPHIRE site http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=305
400 Watt Power Supply is required.
500 Watt Power Supply is recommended for CrossFireX™ System

Ati is a little bit generous with there specification, just to make sure your ok if your PC is loaded.

LINK:http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/11
Keep that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is much higher than your average system.

Single GPU 5770

System in IDLE = 228 Watts
System with GPU in FULL Stress = 321 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 93 Watt

Dual GPU 5770

System in IDLE = 249 Watts (= 21W added over single GPU)
System with GPU in FULL Stress = 423Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 174 Watt

Well aware of the details... Sapphire is pretty brave with only 15% headroom... That doesnt make for quiet operation and doesnt leave much on top...

I agree, however running crossfire at full load is not Quiet either and if you have a recommended PSU your doing fine, if you need more head room in the future buy a new PSU.:)

Back