• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA Solves Multi-Monitor Temp Issue GTX 480

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
160W idle?! With just one monitor... 240W with two is hideous.

Last edited:
166 idle with 1 monitor 236 with 2, is this system consumption though or just the card??? :shrug:

No that is total system consumption 166 watts idle

Quote:GeForce GTX 480 increased the systems power consumption by 80W

The GTX only uses 80 more watts for two monitors compared to the Radeon HD 5870 uses 41 watts, it's only 40 watts more for two monitors.

I always believed the IC's could take more heat, this will be a true test.

That GTX 480 going to be one hot selling card, retail and OEM, I cant wait to see how it goes.:clap:

Last edited:
i don't know about y'all, but i've never run my GFx fan at 50%... always at 80-90%... i won't let my temps go above 60C (at full load, i.e Crysis maxxed out) if i can help. that goes for the 8800 GTS 512 as well as the GTX 285 2G. you know its a hot card before you buy it. take the appropriate precautions... turn up the fan speed!

i don't know about y'all, but i've never run my GFx fan at 50%... always at 80-90%... i won't let my temps go above 60C (at full load, i.e Crysis maxxed out) if i can help. that goes for the 8800 GTS 512 as well as the GTX 285 2G. you know its a hot card before you buy it. take the appropriate precautions... turn up the fan speed!

I run my one of my stock factory overclocked EVGA video card 24/7 at 90c for the last 2+ years, praying every day it will die, so I can get a free upgrade.:D

Last edited:
What is really sad is that no one cares about the GTX480 any longer... Old news of a poorly made card...

And I was all excited too... That's why I bought an Xbox 360!

What is really sad is that no one cares about the GTX480 any longer... Old news of a poorly made card...

And I was all excited too... That's why I bought an Xbox 360!
I called EVGA and BFG the GTX480's are selling like hot cakes, both pre orders they did are sold out.

EVGA said there selling faster than the GTX 285-295. They said all the forms and reviews are not hurting
them one bit, and the tech departments I called are not reporting any trouble.

EVGA guy said they are designed to take the heat. The EVGA guy said there is always people that worry about the heat and people said the same thing about 8800 ultra when it came out also. There is just as many transistors on one chip with the GTX 480 as the GXT 295 with dual GPU's, so you have more heat in one spot, that's all it is. Max oprating temp 105c for that card.

Here is one review out of the many good reviews I found.

Awesome -- Don't believe the naysayers!

Pros: Awesome, fast, beautiful rendering GTX 480.

I bought 2x for SLI. They get hot as designed but so far my feet are still cold next to my case.

The fan noise isn't at all as bad as the 5870s when they get crankin'. Plus these sound much more precision than the 5870 fans which are like cheap leaf blowers!

Cons: None so far.

Other Thoughts: My 850W PSU hasn't broken a sweat with these in SLI.

Last edited:
Ahh yes a newegg review, probably posted before newegg started selling them?

That's what I said some months ago: the 400 series will sell regardless of reviews, and since there's very few of them right now they get 'sold out' much faster than previous generations.

As for the heat issue, companies may say all kinds of things but obviously I know not to believe them until I have experience with the product. Some may say the cards are 'designed' to tolerate those high temps; one key factor here...look at the Max Temp rating for GT200 series - it's the same, 105 C. They ran much cooler though, and as an OC'er I noticed that the 200 series benefits well from low temps for increasing clocks. Near 70C and I can't play GPU-intense games such as Crysis when OC'd because they keep crashing; reduce temp to 65 or below and the same clock speeds run fine all day. How will the GTX400 series fair in this regard? Hard to tell, and hard to assume they will do 'just as good' as the 200's until I see it happen.

Ahh yes a newegg review, probably posted before newegg started selling them?

That would be incorrect to the left it shows he purchased the GTX 480 at newegg, it's in the color blue if you have not been there.

That's what I said some months ago: the 400 series will sell regardless of reviews, and since there's very few of them right now they get 'sold out' much faster than previous generations.

As for the heat issue, companies may say all kinds of things but obviously I know not to believe them until I have experience with the product. Some may say the cards are 'designed' to tolerate those high temps; one key factor here...look at the Max Temp rating for GT200 series - it's the same, 105 C. They ran much cooler though, and as an OC'er I noticed that the 200 series benefits well from low temps for increasing clocks. Near 70C and I can't play GPU-intense games such as Crysis when OC'd because they keep crashing; reduce temp to 65 or below and the same clock speeds run fine all day. How will the GTX400 series fair in this regard? Hard to tell, and hard to assume they will do 'just as good' as the 200's until I see it happen.

So what are you saying, when they get more GTX 480's in stock people will stop buying them?

EVGA sells a overclocked GTX480 version.

After all the phone calls I made today, All EVGA and BFG sales are saying peoples opinions in the forms is having no impact at all, I think that's incredible.

All IC's chips benefit from from under cooling, just think how much headroom you have with them binning the chips at such a high temp. With liquid cooling you might be ably to reach for the stars.

They make these video cards to throw into your system, for the majority of the people, also to be as quiet as possible and still maintain longevity.

Seriously though, they were posted on the 7th and 8th, the cards weren't on sale till the 12th.

Used to be you selected whether you bought the item from newegg or not, and that triggered that blue text.

EDIT:
GPUs have been able to do 90*c+ temps for a long time, this is nothing new or groundbreaking.

Basically what I meant is that it will sell because it's Nvidia. They have been the 'Default' choice for GPU's since 3dfx died. ATI only started being competitive a while later (after they solved their driver problems from the Rage days and released the Radeon 9000 series), by then NV had gained enough ground and enough partnerships with many game developers so their games are already designed around their card's architecture (and ATI has to spend extra months to optimize their drivers to match it in most games, even then they can't match the performance in some games with the same generation).

And what I meant about the temps is that it affects OC'ing. Cooler temps = more stability and more ground to increase voltage. At stock speeds it's a completely different story; 90C would be stable, at least from what we know so far. Basically, a low budget OC'er wouldn't like that. A rich OC'er, at least using water cooling, may find it more attractive depending on how well the cards do; so far I haven't seen water cooling + volt modded OC results so I can't tell yet.

Seriously though, they were posted on the 7th and 8th, the cards weren't on sale till the 12th.

Used to be you selected whether you bought the item from newegg or not, and that triggered that blue text..
Seriously you can't select it, if the product is not there.

GPUs have been able to do 90*c+ temps for a long time, this is nothing new or groundbreaking.
So have the old CPU's from Intel and AMD and new CPU's from intel, AMD CPU is not stable at high temp's now. Computers in cars and cpu's in the military were always able to stand high temps. it's all old news to me.

Basically what I meant is that it will sell because it's Nvidia. They have been the 'Default' choice for GPU's since 3dfx died. ATI only started being competitive a while later (after they solved their driver problems from the Rage days and released the Radeon 9000 series), by then NV had gained enough ground and enough partnerships with many game developers so their games are already designed around their card's architecture (and ATI has to spend extra months to optimize their drivers to match it in most games, even then they can't match the performance in some games with the same generation).
And that's nvidia's fault because ATI could not get there drivers correct. From what I remember back then nvidia took a chance and hired a unheard of amount of employees back then for programming drivers and it paid off, even though they took a loss when they first did it. It's how you play the game.

Times have changed have you played some games back to back with nvidia and ATi there is actually different effects in some games.

And what I meant about the temps is that it affects OC'ing. Cooler temps = more stability and more ground to increase voltage. At stock speeds it's a completely different story; 90C would be stable, at least from what we know so far. Basically, a low budget OC'er wouldn't like that. A rich OC'er, at least using water cooling, may find it more attractive depending on how well the cards do; so far I haven't seen water cooling + volt modded OC results so I can't tell yet.
$500 video card and your a budget overclocker, do you see my point.

Last edited:
Where did you get the idea that I'm somehow placing them at fault...

But saving up $500 or $350 to buy Fermi isn't that unheard of. And most of the people buying it aren't going to OC it anyway.

Seriously you can't select it, if the product is not there.

So have the old CPU's from Intel and AMD and new CPU's from intel, AMD CPU is not stable at high temp's now. Computers in cars and cpu's in the military were always able to stand high temps. it's all old news to me.

I just selected it on an out of stock gtx480, newegg would be happy to let me review one.

Back