• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did a lack of preparation cause my SSd drive to fail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BF_TEXMASTER

All I did was set up 2 SSDs in Windows 7 under RAID 0. I lost one drive in less than a month.

Were there steps I should have taken that may have prevented the failure?

I don't want that to happen again when the replacement drive shows up.

It happens, I doubt that there is anything you could have done to prevent it.

What brand / model was it? I just got an OCZ Vertex for use as a boot drive; it already had the latest firmware, but there's really nothing I could see that needed doing, unless it were going to be optimized for benching...

How's the Corsair RMA process going?

Thankfully, I could still go through newegg so I don't know yet.

One thing that suprised me was how rude the Corsair forums were about name brands.

I asked for help on there and was threatened with a ban for even mentioning Muskin was my ram.

I explained that I wanted to be thorrough in case the ram itself might be a known issue but it didn't matter to the mods.

Then, when I wrote on newegg's page of my problem with the drive, Corsair actually responded on there as well.

Seems like a whole lot of CYA going on which makes me wonder if my problem isn't isolated.

Do some searching around, Corsair is known for having some SSD problems. Heck when i was searching for SSDs to buy I think I ran across several complaints on newegg from people who had bought their SSDs. Intel and OCZ at this point are very strong with fewer problems... in the end ya get what ya pay for.

Yup my Reactor 60GB is going on its way out.

Started with disappearing in the BIOS (AHCI fixed that). Now im getting corrupt file errors. Tossed a fan on it (WTF) have not been home to see if that will fix it though.

think I am just going to RMA and sell it on ebay (wish I had seen that newegg does not support refunds on corsair SSD, should have been a hint right there).

Switching over to vrap raid0 for my benching rig.

Do some searching around, Corsair is known for having some SSD problems. Heck when i was searching for SSDs to buy I think I ran across several complaints on newegg from people who had bought their SSDs. Intel and OCZ at this point are very strong with fewer problems... in the end ya get what ya pay for.

I did do the research. I found no one who had even returned the SSD model I picked up on newegg or anywhere else.

Ahh I remember what I read now, apparently there is a firmware bug related to the corsair extreme series. They are dropping out of RAIDs/BIOS randomly and corrupting files, but apparently there is an update for their firmware now, however there is a big post over at Corsair that talks about failures and success with this update.

Knock on wood, the Corsair P128 SSD in my netbook has been perfect and I've had it for about six months now.

TRIM works great and ATTO runs look just like they did the day I first installed it.

Corsair had big problems with its Indilinx based SSD though - not supporting TRIM being the biggy.

The Reactor is the new JMicron controller IIRC and I've heard about them randomly dying.

Back