Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Competitive Benchmarking Team
Competitive Benchmarking Team The Wild Side... Our competitive benchmarking team calls this section home. We are ranked #1 in the US on hwbot.org! Discussions focused on hwbot.org benchmarks.
Forum Jump

From ambient to SUB-ZERO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 08:47 AM Thread Starter   #61
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8

Not yet Nick, I'm sure I should be able to find one locally

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-10, 12:47 PM   #62
Voidn

bump for a good guide. Sticky?

.Core.i7.980x.@5650MHZ.....\ \/ //.| |_| | || |_| | |\. ||....
.Core.i7.2600k.@5557MHZ.....\ .//...\___/___|____/| ||\ ||....
.Core.i7.920.HT.@5153MHz.....\//..................|_|| \||....

Folding For Team 32
Benching for OCF / overclockers.com
Voidn is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-10, 01:23 PM Thread Starter   #63
Brolloks
Premium Member #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidn View Post
bump for a good guide. Sticky?
Good idea

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-25-10, 01:43 AM   #64
SamSaveMax

Good reading. When am I going to move up? I need to get myself a dice pot.

SamSaveMax is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-14-10, 03:15 PM   #65
Tweak-venetica-

this makes me feel poor ! i resort to a h70 with a ice bucket to get 4.5ghz out of a 1090T !! i want a dice pot but cant afford it grrr

screen : samsung p2770H 70000:1 2ms speakers : logitech z-4 + z-2300

Best cpu overclock 6529mhz phenom 1090t

Tweak-venetica- is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-10, 04:24 AM   #66
Apht3rThawt

Poor? Check out my cooling setup. -7c(19f) outside so I opened a window in a spare room, set up some fans and went to work. Got it down to 4c (39f) on top of the hsf. Only got another 20Mhz out of it but did find out some things. XFX GTS 250 allows higher boots to windows, hD5770 booted to win 60Mhz lower, but the winner was the built-in graphics, by 20Mhz. Hoodathunk? But did brake 4200 with x3 740 with 3 cores running. Did this to run wprime32M but didn't beat my score. Really liked the DICE write-up, thanks, can't wait to try it.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1536745

Name:  temph1.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  1.16 MBName:  temph2.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  1.29 MBName:  temps1hb.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  693.9 KB

Last edited by Apht3rThawt; 12-15-10 at 04:34 AM.
Apht3rThawt is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 08:46 AM   #67
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidn View Post
Great write up! Welcome to dice land, Now crank those volts!

20-25lbs would last me 2 days on single and dual cores. I burned through almost 40lbs dice'ing a 920 last weekend .

I bought 2 boxes of eraser from this place. They offer bulk discounts.
Link is dead. Anyone remember what brand it was? I can only find these brands, and is wondering if any of you got any experience with them?

-Cretacolor
-Faber-Castell
-Talens
-Lyra
-Boesner

Or shouldn't I care much about brand, and just go with the cheapest one?

You say Justin Bieber, I say Armin Van Buuren
You say Taylor Swift, I say Dj TiŽsto

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.
Wega! is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 08:56 AM Thread Starter   #68
Brolloks
Premium Member #8

Faber-Castell you can get at your local Hobby Lobby as well, or Michaels, cheap and works great

Old 02-01-11, 09:14 AM   #69
CgS Drone

I bought Faber-Castell at Michaels like Brolloks is saying, never ended up using them since I went the foam route .

MSI GTX 260, Raptor 75gb.------------------Gigabyte GTX 460, Seagate 500gb

>>>>>>>HeatWare<<<<<<<

Last edited by CgS Drone; 02-02-11 at 11:06 AM.
CgS Drone is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 09:17 AM   #70
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Aye, I bought at least four of them but went with Frost King too. Eraser is great to seal, but frost forms on it if not insulated properly. Going with insulation from the bottom up fixes that.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 09:26 AM Thread Starter   #71
Brolloks
Premium Member #8

Best of both world is to use just a bit of eraser around the socket to seal it off, then use frost king or whatever you like to insulate the rest of the area between the socket and the PWM sinks

Old 02-01-11, 09:27 AM   #72
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
Best of both world is to use just a bit of eraser around the socket to seal it off, then use frost king or whatever you like to insulate the rest of the area between the socket and the PWM sinks
Very true; it's tough cutting close enough to the socket and this would make that much easier.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 10:07 AM   #73
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Hmm, the eraser is just very easy for me to get. I have no Idea where to get Frost King here in Denmark, and I'm pretty sure I'll get some very odd looks if I start asking in the local hardware store Does any kind of insulation foam work? Sounds like a combination of the two would be nice to work with. And as a noob, I need that kind of insulation thats easiest to work with, so i dont kill anything...

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.
Old 02-01-11, 10:21 AM Thread Starter   #74
Brolloks
Premium Member #8

If you conformal the board all you really need is that bit of eraser around the socket to seal it off, the conformal will make sure the rest stays waterproof.

Old 02-01-11, 10:23 AM   #75
moocow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wega! View Post
Hmm, the eraser is just very easy for me to get. I have no Idea where to get Frost King here in Denmark, and I'm pretty sure I'll get some very odd looks if I start asking in the local hardware store Does any kind of insulation foam work? Sounds like a combination of the two would be nice to work with. And as a noob, I need that kind of insulation thats easiest to work with, so i dont kill anything...
Depending on which pot you get, it should have a sufficient amount of insulation with it. Combine that with the eraser on the board and you should be good to go.

Old 02-01-11, 10:41 AM   #76
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Depending on which pot you get, it should have a sufficient amount of insulation with it. Combine that with the eraser on the board and you should be good to go.
This. You can disregard at least part of what I say out of sheer paranoia. I'm not near as experienced in the cold as these guys. Their expertise is much greater than my meager knowledge.

Old 02-01-11, 11:37 AM   #77
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I've just requested prices on 2 of the BartX pots and 3 of the Piotres pots, so I'm thinking it's going to be one of those. They come with isolation, but I dont know if it's enough? What about the backside of the mobo?
You can see the pots I'm looking at here:
http://www.piotres.com/
http://www.bartxstore.cba.pl/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
If you conformal the board all you really need is that bit of eraser around the socket to seal it off, the conformal will make sure the rest stays waterproof.
Ok, language barrier kicking in here. Conformal? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
This. You can disregard at least part of what I say out of sheer paranoia. I'm not near as experienced in the cold as these guys. Their expertise is much greater than my meager knowledge.
I will hear what they say about it, but thanks for you input anyway And a little paranoia is fine by me, because I really dont want to kill anything. So better safe than sorry.

In Trance we trust!

Old 02-01-11, 11:48 AM   #78
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

backside needs something as well.

Conformal is a spray on coating that prevents mositure from reaching the board.

Note 1st entry here: http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...6&Tab=Products

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 01:54 PM   #79
Bobnova

Think specialized spray paint that is specifically designed to be sprayed onto boards to protect from water.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-11, 01:58 PM   #80
moocow

Just so you know the pots will come with a big piece of armaflex that you can put on the backside of the board between the eraser and backplate.

You will want to cover the socket area on the backside with eraser.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Competitive Benchmarking Team
Competitive Benchmarking Team The Wild Side... Our competitive benchmarking team calls this section home. We are ranked #1 in the US on hwbot.org! Discussions focused on hwbot.org benchmarks.