• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Write-Back Cache Raid - 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

I recently started reading posts about write-back caching and some of the pro's and con's. When you enable it, there is this scary error message that says the world will explode if i lose power.

I have tried it both ways (enabled/disabled) and enabled on benchmarks certainly is substantially faster.

I use my raid 0 (dual gen 2 74 gig raptors in raid 0) solely for my OS and the two games I play. never is there anything important stored on this drive and if it failed.. so be it.

The flip side is that I also don't want to reformat frequently due to OS corruption because I'm amazingly lazy.

I'm on an UPS currently but it doesn't shut down the computer automatically.. i still have to be home.

So my question here is, how frequently does the OS write important information that if lost would be unrecoverable and corrupt my win7 x64 install?

I overclock my i7 930 to 4.2 right now and am pushing it further day by day.. but occasionally I get a BSOD or a freeze-up when I'm pushing it with trail and error.

Corruption due to failure to write something to the hard drive should be very, very rare nowadays. NTFS is a journaling file system to help keep this from happening to keep this from happening. Windows also keeps backup copies of important files so that is the one in use gets corrupted it can just use the backup. Neither of these are 100% but together they come near.

The bigger risk is data loss. Even if you don't save data to the drive it is possible that programs use if for temporary data storage. If that gets corrupted it will impede the automated recovery functions of different programs.

does your raid controller support a battery backup function or is it an integrated controller. All the raid controllers I have I have a battery backup feature on so that it keeps the staging memory active in case of power loss so that it can be written back to the disks when normal operation is resumed. Im not sure a bsod will cause the same issues that a power loss would with write-back caching enabled but I'm not entirely sure

It's onboard ICH10R intel controller on my gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5.

thanks for your reply's and many more opinions are welcome regarding my specific hardware please.

Back