• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

odd thing I was told today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Ok so I am debating about moving to BR and migrating off DVD. Debating between a few different BR players and after doing some research I have gotten stumped.

I am not a huge gamer on consoles, BUT I am debating getting a PS3 to play games occasionally (not a req) but more to play BR discs and my ~600 disc dvd collection (4.5gb per rip = needing more storage then I have room for).

One guy at the local best buy is funny as hell, he hates the job but can't get into anything better. He despises the tactics BB uses and is almost always honest with me whenever I stop in and actually have a question.

Ok honest opinion, PS3 or a stand alone BR player?

Stand alone without a doubt, when Sony releases the PS3 3d update, you will HAVE to buy a Sony TV to use the 3d part.

I cant find anything on google to support or refute this statement. I find it hard to believe but at the same time it IS Sony we are talking about and knowing them, they would do something retarded like that.

My question is, has anyone got proof either way of this fact? Im not interested in 3d but at some point eventually I might well be.

Regarding the 3D, I'm not sure, but the statement that you HAVE to buy a Sony TV really doesn't make sense since Sony doesn't even make their own panels.

When I moved to BR, I was in the exact same position as you. I ended up buying a 120GB PS3 Slim; but at the time, standard BR players were within about $75 of the PS3 anyway. The PS3 has always had the best BR player they make, so that steered me in the direction of the PS3 as well, plus the games, wireless, streaming netflix, etc..etc..etc.. It does a lot of things, but 80% of the time, it's playing BRs and DVDs.

Now a good BR player can run about $150-$175 depending on make/model/features. If you don't care anything about the game experience, but just want a good BR player, I'd probably go with a stand alone.

One CON for me with the PS3 is that it can only be controlled via bluetooth. So you either need to use the controller, or the special PS3 remote, or a all-in-one remote that uses bluetooth AND IR. I have a Harmony 880 from Logitech, and I love the remote, but it's IR only, and will not control the PS3, so I have to break out the PS3 remote I purchased for another $25.

The PS3 is nice though. If you're looking at BR players that are North of $200, I'd go ahead and buy the 120GB PS3 slim and call it a day. It's a great system.

Last edited:
Yeah saw the adapter, but decided to just go with the PS3 remote since it does a lot more than just play, pause, stop, etc.. and most importantly was just $25 :)

After typing my reply out I noticed this topic is rather old! Hope it's not deemed wrong to still reply :/

Doesn't sound logical to me. When (and if to be more precise) 3D fully hits the home market (in the way that HD has only really started doing lately) it'll be standardised without question. And if that's the case I can't see any way Sony could make it so that the PS3 only supports 3D on Sony TVs. The first few 3D games are starting to roll out now, and I haven't heard of any of them being only usable on a Sony TV. Besides, I would view it as extremely bad for business for Sony to do such move; people eager to adopt 3D would most likely go elsewhere.

Back