• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 DO OC an air. can i go further?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anders1405

I am new to all this Overclocking. My specs are:

Antec 900 Mid-Tower
Asus P6T Ws Revolution MB
i7 920 CPU
GFX 275 896MB GPU
4GB Kingston HyperX 1800 MHz
HDD WD 1TB Caviar Green

I've recently recieve and installed my new cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2. I am as said. new to OC'ing. I tried to OC with stock intel cooler, and stopped at 3Ghz because of high temperatures. 80 on full load.

Now i have tried 4Ghz with my new cooler. Bios settings is as follows:

CPU ratio = 19.0
BCLK = 211
DDR3 = 1600 MHz

CPU Core = 1.225v
QPI/DRAM Core = 1.250V
DRAM BUS = 1.64V

Turbo mode disabled.

Idle temps are 32-33 C
Full load tested for an hour is 67 C

My question is this. Can i go any further, og should i stay on the safe side of 4Ghz? I would like to get some tips, as i am new to all this OC :D

i think you should stay where you are

you might just want to go up to 4.2, thats where i am with my megahalems cooler

well you say you tried 4ghz but did you test it by running prime95 for like 2+hours or linx to see if its stable.. thats a pretty low vcore to have 4ghz stable imo

and as for going further.. unless you're benching etc you probably will not see a difference in apps for everyday use. I got my rig up to 4.2 before heat was getting too high for my taste and now i use a 3.8(3.82 really) overclock for daily use. i didnt see a big enough difference between 3.8 and 4.2 to justify my idle temps being nearly 20C higher and load temps being at 80-82C.. now I run like 42c idle and 65c load.. so even in the hot summer w/o the AC on i can run without worries of overheating

I run fsx, which is very hard for the CPU, så even a differense of 0.2 Ghz does matter.
I have run prime 95 for 6 hours without problems.

Okay. so 4ghz stable is what i am going for. I have run prime 95 for 3 hours again still no fault. I will stress test som more to make sure system is stable.

I know i only have 4Gigs of ram, and therefore not using the tripple-channel-memory. - that will be my next thing to worry about.

How about my temps and bios, does it look ok, if stable?

B-auto said:
There is nothing to gain if you continue to increase it.
That all depends on how he uses it. I can think of one application that many people are interesed in these days that he'd have a noticable bennefit from more increases, video encoding....it scales almost linear with CPU speed ;)

@ Anders1405
Temps and BIOS settings look fine...you're actually running very cool. Nice OC BTW :thup:

Although you may find that after adding the third DIMM of memory that you're no longer stable with the same settings.

Looks like you've got it under control, but feel free to check out my guide (linked in my sig), you may be able to gleen some good info out of it :)

Temps and BIOS settings look fine...you're actually running very cool. Nice OC BTW :thup:

Although you may find that after adding the third DIMM of memory that you're no longer stable with the same settings.

Okay, yet just another question... :)
The ram i have is only dual channel memory since i only bought a package of 2 dimms. A guy told me that I just could get another dimm, simmular to the 2 i already have, and then would be able of using the 3 dimms in tripple channel.. Is that even possible? I thought/think i have to buy a new set of 3 dimms tripple channel to get the dimms working in tripple channel?

I am new to all this Overclocking. My specs are:

Antec 900 Mid-Tower
Asus P6T Ws Revolution MB
i7 920 CPU
GFX 275 896MB GPU
4GB Kingston HyperX 1800 MHz
HDD WD 1TB Caviar Green

I've recently recieve and installed my new cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2. I am as said. new to OC'ing. I tried to OC with stock intel cooler, and stopped at 3Ghz because of high temperatures. 80 on full load.

Now i have tried 4Ghz with my new cooler. Bios settings is as follows:

CPU ratio = 19.0
BCLK = 211
DDR3 = 1600 MHz

CPU Core = 1.225v
QPI/DRAM Core = 1.250V
DRAM BUS = 1.64V

Turbo mode disabled.

Idle temps are 32-33 C
Full load tested for an hour is 67 C

My question is this. Can i go any further, og should i stay on the safe side of 4Ghz? I would like to get some tips, as i am new to all this OC :D

You can go further. Take load temps up to high 70's your still good.

Back