• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my first computer... i have questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TerrorTown

Registered
The equipment I am using are in my signature and if you would like a picture of my equipment you can click on the thread about my rig in my signature.

This is the first computer I have ever built alone. Going into it I knew all of the basic's and I figured I could figure out the difficult stuff on the fly (which for the most part is true) but I have a few questions.
If I don't get any answers I can figure out myself it will just take a lot of time and patience so if someone could help me that would be great. I want to get back to gaming ASAP.

Questions:

1) (Pictures of Motherboard (Newegg)) (PSU) How do you start a chain of the white power connectors? I have many things that require the "white hook-up" (IDK whats its called) but I'm not sure where to start the connection. Also, I assume it has a "dasiy chain" effect so all of the "white hook-ups" connect to each other...
I always thought the start of the chain came out PSU but the only thing that comes out of the PSU are three cords (Click Here to see pictures) 3ed Pic 2ed Row
(1st Picture 3ed Row) you will see a cord near the bottom of the picture that looks like the cord that starts the "chain" but IDK where it plugs into..

2) I got everything connected to the best of my knowledge and plugged the power in to the PSU and when I did there were a few lights on the Motherboard and the LED on the front panel was red (indicating the machine was off). When I pressed the front power button nothing happened. I checked and rechecked that I have all off the connectors in the JFP1 slot correct and I do. Is the JFP2 slot not used or is there a power cord that needs to plug in there? If I am totally off on how I think to solve this then let me know.

3) PSU - That is a link to another PSU that is similar to the connectors in the back of mine. The two six pin connectors I am using to plug into the video card. I am pretty sure that is correct but I just need some verification.

I am sure these are easy answers to those of you who are professionals at building PC's but if not, thanks for reading.

I am sure I have other questions but those are just the three that I cant stop thinking about (the 1st and 2nd ones the most).

Thanks in advance for any posts!!!

1. 24 pin power connector to MB.
2. 4 pin 12v CPU power, Should be right next to the CPU.
3. You should have Sata connectors coming from the PSU for the Harddrives and DVD drive, If they are close together you may get both off one cable from your PSU.
4. Rear case fan plug into motherboard, Top fan and front fan both likely 4 pin molex, This you should be able to accomplish off one cable.

I'm not sure what you a referring to in regard to daisy chaining, Your PSU is modular and you should have plug ins for each required device. Some will have multiple ends so you can hook up various components off the one cable to keep wire management as clean as possible.

The 3 cables that come hooked to PSU are 24 pin motherboard plug and 4 or 8 pin CPU plug, Some motherboards have a 4 pin plug, Some an 8 pin plug.

I believe he is talking about the MOLEX power connectors. In order to chain them (they would start at the Power Supply FYI!!!!) W/e he is plugging them into must have another molex on it to do.....

As far as how to...: http://www.google.com/search?source...T4ADBR_enUS316US316&q=How+to+build+a+computer

Regarding #2, look at the manual for your board and your case so you can be sure you are matching up neg to neg and pos to pos.

I believe he is talking about the MOLEX power connectors. In order to chain them (they would start at the Power Supply FYI!!!!) W/e he is plugging them into must have another molex on it to do.....

As far as how to...: http://www.google.com/search?source...T4ADBR_enUS316US316&q=How+to+build+a+computer

Regarding #2, look at the manual for your board and your case so you can be sure you are matching up neg to neg and pos to pos.

I have been using the crap out of google. I only resort to asking if I cant figure it out.

Since the PSU is so different from anything I have ever used I couldnt find anything on google because everything talks about the typical setup

@Scott - Can you look at the pictures for my PSU because thats not how it works with this one

Last edited:
how many devise do you have that need the molex 4pin plug? that psu has 6-9 of them should be plenty.

now if you just adding up fans and such i would suggest a fan controller as most will take 5 fans to one molex

There are no 4pin connectors in the back of the PSU... Those are used to power the HDD and CD Drive

I am talking about the white 4 pin connectors that require a little force to connect

I dont see any white cord in that picture...I see a white connector which is a MOLEX connector. My instructions for starting a 'chain' of these was listed above.

The case fan is a 4 pin molex, You should have a couple of cables that have 3 molex connectors on it, and a couple with 2 molex connectors on it. Look at the cables, Find the end that looks like it will plug into one of the five slots on your PSU and then you should be able to hook 2-3 molex connectors to 2 or 3 fans, Whatever you require.

The case fan is a 4 pin molex, You should have a couple of cables that have 3 molex connectors on it, and a couple with 2 molex connectors on it. Look at the cables, Find the end that looks like it will plug into one of the five slots on your PSU and then you should be able to hook 2-3 molex connectors to 2 or 3 fans, Whatever you require.

I think I see a cable in the picture third row 1st picture but from my experience when I get home it wont work

@Scott - You can look at the link above and see what I am working with cable wise

I think this is the cord... but since im at work I cant see the back side of the cord so I am not sure if thats what plugs into the PSU

fyzeab.jpg

There is only one end of the supplied cables for the PSU that can plug into it....

It makes sense that you would be correct but this cord dosnt plug into the PSU...

wkl9gk.jpg

Back