• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob pushing E7400 on DDR3 RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrm5035

Registered
Hello all.

It's been a while, I haven't overclocked anything since unlocking multipliers and connecting L1 bridges on my Athlon T-Bird with a pencil. A couple systems later and I finally have a rig that I think can benefit from overclocking, but don't have a great idea of where to start.

Setup:
E7400 @ stock
GA-EP45C-UD3R
4GB Crucial DDR3 PC3 8500
Sapphire 100245HDMI HD4850 512 GDDR3
ANTEC EA430 430w PSU

I've looked for common configs for overclocking this setup, but almost all of them use DDR2 ram.

I'm not trying to do anything ridiculous, but I'd like to be over 3Ghz and stay on the stock cooling. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

With only a 200MHz overclock, the only setting you'll need to change is the FSB (CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)) to 285MHz (285 x 10.5 = 3.0GHz). With (G)MCH Frequency Latch set to 333, and System Memory Multiplier set to 2.40B, the effective DRAM frequency will be 912MHz. Or you could also try a Latch of 266 w/ the DRAM multiplier set to 855MHz, this w/ possibly tighter sub-timings including lower Static tRead Value for both channels.

With only a 200MHz overclock, the only setting you'll need to change is the FSB (CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)) to 285MHz (285 x 10.5 = 3.0GHz). With (G)MCH Frequency Latch set to 333, and System Memory Multiplier set to 2.40B, the effective DRAM frequency will be 912MHz. Or you could also try a Latch of 266 w/ the DRAM multiplier set to 855MHz, this w/ possibly tighter sub-timings including lower Static tRead Value for both channels.

Thanks for this, any idea how far you can go on stock cooling with the E7400?

you might be lucky to get around 3.2 maybe 3.4ghz. this all depends on temps of course. have you gotten either coretemp or realtemp yet? run either smp prime95 or intelburntest to see what your loaded temps are.

i would suggest a better HS though and you dont have to spend a lot. this one would be a huge upgrade over the intel and only $14.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=46_185_517&products_id=26951
or this one for $19.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=46_185_517&products_id=25877

you might be lucky to get around 3.2 maybe 3.4ghz. this all depends on temps of course. have you gotten either coretemp or realtemp yet? run either smp prime95 or intelburntest to see what your loaded temps are.

i would suggest a better HS though and you dont have to spend a lot. this one would be a huge upgrade over the intel and only $14.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=46_185_517&products_id=26951
or this one for $19.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=46_185_517&products_id=25877

Nice, I'll go with one of those, 20 bucks is nothing in the long run. Is arctic silver II still the standard thermal paste for this sort of thing, or do these come pre-loaded with compounds like the OEM sink?

i think they do come with compound on the bottom. im pretty sure i gave my TX hs when i sold my other i7 860. AS-II is old now, there is AS-5 and my preference AS-C.

At stock settings:

Couldn't boot through FSB to 285, latch @ 333 (Wouldn't even post), trying latch of 266 shortly once I figure out what I'm doing with sub-timings.

Last edited:
with your latch at 333 what ram ratios do you have? your ram ratios will change from different latch settings. just keep in mind different boards show ram speeds in different ways. if your just show say DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 then your going to have to mess with the ram ratios to make sure the ram speed is kosher.

Just messed around with timings / delay (7-7-7-7-15).

Here's what I'm getting now:

I'm now running with latch at 266, multiplier set to give me 855. The board I believe was showing true speed rather than what you were saying. What do you typically want your ratio to be?

well cas7 is really lose for that slow a speed on ram. what brand/model ram is it?

PC8500 ram is DDR2-1066 and should or might be specced at cas5-5-5-xx. that means then you can run the ram higher with a different ratio. now the thing about CPU is that the speed being showing is the SDR speed so take that speed then times 2. after multipling it by 2 that is the effective speed of the ram as its labled, IE DDR2-800, DDR2-1066. basicly your ram is underclocked and really set loose on the timings at cas 7.

Back