• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to start saving for an i7 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

~~Tito~~

Registered
Hey all, I am going to start saving up for an i7 build, a multimedia, gaming, monster machine. I am going to spend 1k then spend another 1k after that. That way I don't wait as long to get what I need first. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the 950 along with the Asus Rampage II mobo. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Also I would love to try to fit a monitor in there, and a few other goodies.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time with a 950. Same the money and get a 930. Once you OC, you won't see the difference. I like ASUS boards too.

skip the 930 if the 920 is cheaper.. it overclocks just as well and is usually 20 or more dollars cheaper depending on where you get it

asus rampage II or III, evga classifieds, gigabytes all have good boards depending on what you want and how far you want to take your overclock etc

drop in a SSD for OS/Primary apps, wd black or samsung f3 for storage

750+ PSU (modular or non is up to you)

5870 gfx card

case/dvd drive your call

heatsink for the cpu, noctua d14 is nice their u12p is nice too.. also prolimatech/xigmatek/true venemous-x are all good options as well.. so is the corsair h50 if you want a closed loop water system

I have a cd/dvd burner to transfer over. I need a case, I do have 2 wishlists one on the AMD side and one on the i7 side. I went with a 930 cause i feel more comfortable with 2.8 @ stock lol.

i7:
Wishlistpartonei7.png

Wishlistparttwoi7.png

Wishlistpartthreei7.png

AMD(same parts different ram, board, cpu):
amdchange.png

amdprice.png

I would ditch the raptor and trade it in for an SSD. If your going to spend that much you may as well get an SSD. IIRC you can get one of the Intel x25 drives for about that price. Only like $40 more if you want the 80GB model. I'm not an expert on SSD's so hopefully one of the other guys will chip in on which to get. I've just read good things about the x25 that's why I suggest that initially.

Back