• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking athlon620/Phenom555

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charly9

Registered
hi, got an option for a brand new computer for 200$. what's the better spec for overclocking:
cpu: Athlon II Quad 620
mb: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
mem: 2GB Kingston DDR2 800

or

cpu: Phenom II Dual 555 (don't thing it's BE)
mb: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
mem: 2GB Mushkin Value Green HS DDR2 800

thanks

hi, got an option for a brand new computer for 200$. what's the better spec for overclocking:
cpu: Athlon II Quad 620
mb: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
mem: 2GB Kingston DDR2 800

or

cpu: Phenom II Dual 555 (don't thing it's BE)
mb: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
mem: 2GB Mushkin Value Green HS DDR2 800

thanks

What do you plan to use the machine for?

Exactly.

For games the 555 will do for heavy multitasking or multi threaded work (encoding and DC) the 620.

thanks for quick replies.
computer will be for gaming, althoughh with moderate graphics (football manager, age of empires etc. - not heavy action game). also, at the same time i use office, firefox, winamp, foxit etc., and also watching HD movies - not much of a heavy stuff, but occasionly i do encode movies, usually at night as the only program running.
I understand that a quad is better for multitasking, but would there be a difference if i overclock?
thanks

Ok here goes. The PhII is better at heavy load but at the same time that load is distributed better on the 620. Basically from what you have described the 620 would do better but if you want to OC then I would say 3.8-4 for the PhII on good air and 3.4-3.7 for the 620 with the same cooling.

thanks a lot. I appreciate it.
one last question: I was offered a CPU cooler Scythe Zipang SCZP 1000 for 20$. now, i always bought Zalman, and never heard of this cooler. is it worth it?
thanks

I have heard of the brand but not that particular cooler.

Here is a 7 way comparison of some decent coolers: Coolers

As to the Zalman cooler they are great but weak for high OC'n.

For $20, that cooler is great. Nothing else at $20 is likely to beat it IMO.

Now if you jump to $36, the Xigmatek hdt-1283 and sunbeam core contact freezer likely will beat it.
Check out http://frostytech.com/ for some really good heatsink reviews. I like 'em at least.

I just bought a 555 BE. I clocked it up to 3840MHz on stock voltage and it was stable. Any more speed and it needed alot more than a bump in voltage to be stable.

Unlocked the extra cores, ran prime stable overnight with a little extra voltage. I did give it some more voltage last night and it ran stable with an overclock but with the stock cooler temps got hot and fast so I backed it off. So you might be able to have your cake and eat it too. 4 cores and 3+gigs.

Back