• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

undervolting an athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

since i have high temps @ overclocked speed ([email protected]) and bad case ventilation, i decided to lower my cpu voltage a step below. wud this move affect my cpu performance? kud i destroy my pc thru undervolting it?

my current temps 52@full load, 49@idle

Undervolting makes the machine less stable quite rapidly, and really inhibits overclocking.

I've dropped mine by three notches (1.75 -> 1.675) at stock speed, and it was OK, ran 4C cooler, but wouldn't overclock for toffee.
I don't think this can damage anything and performance remains the same. Just means more bits get lost along the way.

you wouldnt destroy your machine its possible you might be unsable and need to lower your fsb.
you shouldtry to get a better heatsink theres some nice ones that are cheep depending your price

ThePunkGeek said:
you wouldnt destroy your machine its possible you might be unsable and need to lower your fsb.
you shouldtry to get a better heatsink theres some nice ones that are cheep depending your price you should also make sure that your current heatsink is making full contact with the cpu core and if your using a thermal pad get some cheep radio shack thermal paste like $2

Back