• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium 4 524 (Prescott)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

360fifa

Registered
Hello everyone, i'm new to overclocking as well as new to this website.

I would love to overclock this system but dnt know how to. I would love to learn how to do this. I have a intel pc running a pentium 4 processor of 3.06ghz. CPU-Z tells me that its a socket 775 LGA
Core Voltage is 1.36v
Technology is 90nm
Stepping is 9
Clocks (core #0)
-Core Speed 3079.6 MHZ
-Multiplier x23.0
-Bus Speed 133.9 MHZ
-Rated FSB 535.6 MHZ
Cache
-L1 Data 16 KBytes 8-Way
-Trace 12 Kuops 8-Way
-Level 2 1024 KBytes 8-Way

Cores is 1 Threads 2 (Why does it show 1 core instead of 2 cores?)
Stock heatsink & fan.

I have a AsRock 775Dual-VSTA Mobo. Thanks inadvance.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCForums :)

Although this guide was writen specifically for the generation of hardware following yours (Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad), but the basic princibles and most of the steps are no different for your system:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

To get you started, you're overclocking will be done by increasing the "bus speed 133.9MHz"...and to do so your CPU voltage will need to be increased a bit.

It's showing as 1 core, becasue it is 1 core....your CPU uses an Intel technology Called HyperThreading to creat two virtual cores for the OS to utilize. This can lead to up to about 15% increase in performance, but most of the time doesn't help much at all on this generation of hardware (p4) :(

Thanks for the Welcome.

Man that was a efty piece. It was very informative very noob as well. I will test this out later. If I have any difficulties I'll post it.

Thanks again for ur'll help.

BTW - I was planning on upgrading my PC. with these hardware, any suggestions as to what you would use or not use would be helpful.
-Asus M4A89GTD Pro AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA6GB
-AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4Ghz 125w
-G.Skill PI 6Gb (3x2gb) 250pin ddr3 (PC 12800)
-XFX 5770 Graphics Card
-WD Caviar Black WD1001 FALS 1TB
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3160318AS 160GB
-Zalman 2 Ball CPU Cooler
-Rosewill Bronz Series RBR1000-M PSU 1000W
-Hp Black 24x DVD+R 8x DVD+RW Multiformat+lightscribe Drive
-Cooler Master Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1 Computer Case
All are available on newegg.com

Any Advice is greatly accepted.

If you're gonna order an AM3 system, pick a 4GB (2x2GB) or 8 GB (4x2GB) RAM pack, the tri-channel won't work on AMD boards. Other than that, the build you're looking at is good. I'm not sure which Zalman cooler you're looking at but I'd suggest something like the Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer or the Xigmatek Dark Knight tower coolers.. chances are they're cheaper than the Zalman offering and might perform better.. unless you're looking at one of the new Zalman tower style coolers.
I'd also seriously recommend staying away from Rosewill PSU's.. look at something like the Corsair 750w, it has more than enough power and it's one of the best PSU brands you can pick right now.

I looked everywhere on the picture of the zalman cooler but I can't seem to find any balls. hehe
anyhoo

I have got a sunbeamtech core contact freezer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004) cooler and its pretty good and best of all inexpensive. It cools my 965 pretty well. I'm also rocking some of the pre-ripjaw g.skill ddr3 dual channel mem so ripjaw may be some killer option. Just remember than when running high clock or overclocked memory i believe that you stress the imc harder making higher cpu clockspeeds unstable (i may be wrong). I don't know much about that board but ASUS boards are usually rock solid (i've got a crosshair III based on the 790FX set) If your looking for 6 cores or the 890FX chipset thats rumored just about everywhere to be releasing on the 26th. If not it may at least price down on the current hardware. I'd upgrade out of that P4 for sure. My prescott 530 wont go past 4GHz and its performance at that clock is completely eclipsed by my 965's performance.

lol. I wanted to upgrade a long time ago, however didn't get the chance to. And it's been a while since i've treated myself:attn: I was going through all i needed( or thought I needed) and the price for everything is like $1223.00 lol.

So i'm re-vamping my hardware to find cheaper parts that perform the same or almost and stable. For example: i've came across this XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W PSU which is $50 less than the CORSAIR CMPSU. It is also 100W less, which brought me to ask if this XFX PSU will be able to push the system im building with a crossfire of the 5770 cards in the near future. Maybe like 2-3 months after this build. Or would I need a higher wattage PSU? In the same effort to minimize the cost a bit im looking to drop off 2 sets of the memory for now which would equal to 4gb ddr3 @ 1600 each. Would this be sufficient/fast?

Any Suggestions?

2 X 2 GB is probably the least expensive dual channel pathway you can take.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16820231193
thats the memory I use (its gone up in price over the past few months as I only payed 68 bucks).
But another thing to note is the 1600 MHz g.skill ripjaw is about the same price and probably overclocks better.
As for the psu, that xfx has a significant amount of its current directed towards the 12 volt which is good for multiple video card configurations. Also the xfx one looks to be modular which makes for great cable management. ATi suggests that you have at minimum a 600watt power supply when running 2 5770s (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...s/ati-radeon-hd-5770-system-requirements.aspx)

the 750 corsair is unnecessary you could get by with the corsair 550 or the 650.

I can easily xfire two 5770s right now with my 550 ocz (its rated below 550).
but then again im only using an i3.

Use a psu calculator and dont listen to Ati's site.
also look at Earth dogs psu list.

Thanks again guys.

Well I understand that the type(watts) of PSU that u go for is dependent on the system your looking to build (dream system). I'm looking to run 2 XFX Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) on crossfirex
8GB RAM The MoBo supports 2000 so i'll be OCing them to around 1750
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4GHZ (will OC to around 4.3)
I'm going with the M4A89GTD PRO MotherBoard
I will be water cooling as well but for now im using the ZALMAN CNPS9700 OR I might go with the CORSAIR Cooling Hydro for now.

Also thinking of running about 3 Sets of Hard Drives. 2 sets of TB's (Storage), 1 320GB (For Windows and Applications).
2 sets of optical drives, 1 regular dvd+r and dvd+rw with lightscribing and such and the other a Blu-Ray multi-Function drive(this will be added later tho)

So basically i would love to get a decent PSU that will be able to support the "dream" system im looking to build. So any of you guys have any feedback/recommendations on this XFX Black Edition 750W?

Oh yea, will be running Windows 7 Ultimate x64bit.

Thanks Again.

Last edited:
Corsair 550w should do it just fine, or go 650 for some extra room. For me, it's Corsair or Seasonic. Outside those brands you have to check the specific PSU you're looking at.

Kool. Well i did some checks and it seemed ok. just wanted to know if any of u guys had any experience with this brand.

Back