• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Formatting in exFAT question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok so i need to reformat an external 60gig hard drive to FAT, generally fat 32 would be best but i notice in windows 7 its got the option to format in exFAT

i gather its extended fat but if i format this way will i be able to read this drive on older/other systems and USB storage enabled devices? (i.e. Archos media players, 360's, PS3's ect)

i get the feeling its FAT with the past 32gig trick bulit in but at the same time i guess it could be a new FAT so i just wanna know

i gather its extended fat but if i format this way will i be able to read this drive on older/other systems and USB storage enabled devices? (i.e. Archos media players, 360's, PS3's ect)
You won't be able to read it on those devices. exFAT is not widely supported. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

It's not very much like FAT32, apparently. It's designed for USB drives. I'd stick with NTFS unless you absolutely need FAT32 for backwards compatibility.

MS really needs to come up with a new FS. NTFS still needs defraged by the user.

I'd rather M$ did NOT come up with a new non-free patent-riddled excuse for a FS. Leave the good ideas for the FLOSS crowd, rather than locking them up in patents with abhorrently expensive licenses. I'd rather see somebody implement ext4/btrfs/zfs drivers.

Back