• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making dos shortcut 98se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Optimus2575

Registered
was wondering if there are any good websites that show you how to make a dos shortcut that has access to the soundcard and all the available memory. the reason for this is that i have many 486 games that require dos. i use to have a dos short cut but was lost when my HD crashed:mad:
thanks in advance:D

sorry if this belongs in the newbie thread.

Do you need a shorcut to dos box or to a dos proggie?

oh, to completely go into dos.
i've done the shut down and go to dos mode but many of the drivers for sound, game, and video aren't loaded up. i vaguely remember that you could create a dos shortcut and i think go into properties and simply cut and paste window/device command lines and increase conventional memory... thanks.

To boot directly into DOS, open your text editor, and in the file Msdos.sys and change the line BootGUI=1 to BootGUI=0. This makes Win98SE behave like 3.x, so it boots into DOS, and you load 98 by typing win at the command prompt. You can also do this by using TweakUI's Boot Tab and turning off "Start GUI automatically". You'll need to load the proper mouse, CD, and sound drivers, etc. in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files.

To successfully exit to DOS, rename logos.sys and logow.sys. Whenever you choose "Shut down your computer," you will go to the DOS prompt.

Also, if you followed the instructions for booting directly into DOS you should now be able to type MODE CO80 and press Enter at the "It is now safe to turn off your system" screen to exit to DOS.(That is the letters C and O and #s 8 and 0. You won't be able to see the text until you hit Enter.

To successfully exit to DOS, you may need to disable the "Fast Shutdown" feature through msconfig.

Save your previous settings in case of trouble.
Hope this helps you out.

Back