• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

630 Athlon IIx4 Cpu-V And Nb ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snakeiz2

Registered
Hi I have my system running at 260x14= 3.64g with my cpu-v at 1.54 being stable. I am not much of a PC gamer i mostly encode 2 or 3 movies weekly and thats when its utilized the most. Iv OC this cpu to 3.71g boots up, runs great but when stress tested it blue screens me in about 3mins of testing i dont want to go any higher on the cpu-v. So how safe is it running at cpu-v at 1.54 as a 3-4 hr daily user? Nb and HT i have it set at 8x=2080 Iv set my NB at x9 for 2380 it runs fine i just cant tell what is better? at x10 i cant stableize it. Thanks

Should be fine. I wont pretend that nothing can happen such as shorter CPU life and stuff but for the most part you should be OK as long as the temps are under control.

1hr of stress testing my temps dont go above 45c.

Soundz gud:) Usually (I have not mapped it yet) it seems the lower the temp the lower the volts. I have not put this to a full test though and dont want to sound crazy when I say that the temps are probably a lot higher in places and moving out to other areas of the cpu. These hot spots cause increased resistance and then more V to overcome this, rinse and repeat. Again this is from limited observation only, I have the hardware to set up for the testing just have not had the time to devote to it.

Lower your case temps as much a possible. I have found that cutouts at the top help a lot as well as directing your PSU exhaust up and away from the rear case intake.

you can try boosting the nb voltage and see if that helps it stabilize at 10x start it at 1.2625 or your closest option and test then adjust depending on how long it lasts in stressing. Since you use your pc for encoding you won't benefit from the 10x multi unless your ram is running 1600+ so 9x might be the best options depending on what your ram speed is. As far as running at 1.54 with your temps I wouldn't even worry about it, overclocking naturally shortens the lifespan of any component but most times something is upgraded long before it dies and with how cheap those athlons are it isn't worth not pushing them to there limits.

For Phenom II's (same process, so probably the same limits) AMD says 1.55vcore and 1.55VcpuNB
The Masses have found that VcpuNB above 1.3 or so just makes more heat and less stability, your mileage may vary.

Well as for my temps heatsink is only running at half speed and it maintains it under 45c stress testing, at idle is about 21-23c, if i max out the heatsink it gets pretty loud i just didnt see the sense of running it at full when temps are at a good spot. As every one says getting at lease 4 year mileage on it is good enough for me and if it burns out it gives me a good reason to get the next best thing out there. Thanks

That's the max CPU VID AMD allows for that production model in binning from the factory. Meaning that each specific specimen within each model can vary between Min VID and Max VID for production silicon. It's a way to attain higher yields by allowing wider tolerances at the factory.
Max safe CPU VID for the process and Phenom II is 1.55v air, 1.65v water (providing your cooling is excellent, i. e. you stay below Tctl Max).

Last edited:
That's the max CPU VID AMD allows for that production model in binning from the factory. Meaning that each specific specimen within each model can vary between Min VID and Max VID for production silicon. It's a way to attain higher yields by allowing wider tolerances at the factory.
Max safe CPU VID for the process and Phenom II is 1.55v air, 1.65v water (providing your cooling is excellent, i. e. you stay below Tctl Max).

But this is an athlon not phenom. Another thing.

Where does AMD post the information you just provided?

Loose wording, my error...

It's the F10h core, process and revision that decides the core voltage limit. Same in all before 45nm D0. Unsure about thereafter.

Will get back to post details on the rest hopefullyonce I'm back home from hospital and not on a phone. Bare with me...

Back