• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 'Windows Product Key Update Tool' with Retail XP CD but OEM Product Key?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nealoc187

Registered
I've got my valid and paid for Windows XP Home OEM Product Key on my laptop, but because the hard drive died on it I purchased a new HD and planned to install windows XP home on it using my retail CD, I thought I could just enter my OEM product key which came with the laptop when I purchased it, and all would be good. I was wrong. I've learned that since the CD I am using is a Retail CD, I cannot enter my OEM product key while installing windows. Thus I hit a roadblock.

In my searching I found this tool on another forum in a thread about this exact same topic:

Windows Product Key Update Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx

The description of the tool on the website doesn't really answer my questions as to whether or not this is what I need to fully activate my windows XP.

Does anyone have any experience with this tool?

In case anyone searches and finds this thread and wonders about the resolution, this tool seems to have worked for me. here's a copy and paste of my post in another thread regarding it and my experience with it.

Well I read this thread on the MS support website and decided to give it a try.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...5-ad4deff99bbd

I did as the MS support moderator suggested (and as I had thought of doing already, but was uncomfortable doing). I entered the key that came with my windows XP Home Retail CD (the same key I used for my desktop, the computer that I actually BOUGHT windows XP Retail for). So I was able to complete windows installation, and then I ran that tool (had to install wireless drivers so i could connect to internet to run the tool). It said it was successful, and under system properties it is now showing an OEM registration, so I think I'm all good now. I think it worked! Here's hoping everything worked ok and I'm good to go...

Back