• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these Poor scores for 2x 7200RPM HDD in raid 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

hddbechmark2.jpg

i have 2x 250GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache HDD's in Raid 0 (Western digital) these drives are maybe 2 years old). idk why, but for some reason when i upgrading my computer in December, i used the Jmicron chip on my motherboard and not X58 chipset raid support. either way, i think these scores are very POOR for 2 decent drives in raid 0

i just built a computer with my spare cpu, ram and motherboard (E6750, 2gb 1066mhz ddr2, IP35 pro) and it has a little bit slower seq read and write scores but everything else is pretty damn close or even better and its just a single drive (500gb 7200RPM 16mb Western digital BLUE HDD)
hddbenchmarknonraid.jpg

Not sure if its because my raid set up drives are 2 years old or because im using jmicron for my raid but would like to know if i should go ahead and re-install windows but use my intel chipset for my raid.

what do you guys think?

hddbechmark2.jpg

i have 2x 250GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache HDD's in Raid 0 (Western digital) these drives are maybe 2 years old). idk why, but for some reason when i upgrading my computer in December, i used the Jmicron chip on my motherboard and not X58 chipset raid support. either way, i think these scores are very POOR for 2 decent drives in raid 0

i just built a computer with my spare cpu, ram and motherboard (E6750, 2gb 1066mhz ddr2, IP35 pro) and it has a little bit slower seq read and write scores but everything else is pretty damn close or even better and its just a single drive (500gb 7200RPM 16mb Western digital BLUE HDD)
hddbenchmarknonraid.jpg

Not sure if its because my raid set up drives are 2 years old or because im using jmicron for my raid but would like to know if i should go ahead and re-install windows but use my intel chipset for my raid.

what do you guys think?

But even on teh Intel chip I would only expect 120-140ish for the read

this is my 3x7200rpm raid 0 array

i have tested two wd cav blue 500 GB hdd seperately with hdtach and got avg seq read of 110 and 115 mb/s. maybe its the diagnostic software but 1 drive on my system has higher avg seq read than your 2 in raid0.

since they're 2 years old i would expect 150-170ish with the intel chipset...im getting 257mbs with hdtune for read (haven't tested write yet) and ive got 2x500gb seagate 7200 rpm drives. they're new though..bought them this year.

oh, also try turning on write back cache...i dont know how to do this with jmicron controllers though..

I'm sick and just been resting at home. ill probably just delete my current raid i have and just start fresh but use Intel as my raid controller.

ill probably post back tonight with results

raid0onintelchipset.jpg

fresh install of windows 7 64bit professional and i get that :)

pretty happy i talked myself into doing a fresh install with the intel chipset for my raid controller

MAIN reason i wanted to do this was while on the jmicron controller, it would take forever to boot. took about 59 seconds to boot into windows. thats way to long. should take no longer than 30 IMO.

Back