• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New x6 build - questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baalthazaar

Registered
I wasn't able to resist the siren song of a $150.00 6 core processor yesterday so I've got a 1055T heading to my home as we speak. Problem is I haven't upgraded my computer for like 2 years and I'm coming from Intel's side on a Core2Duo. So now I need to get a motherboard to go with the Thuban.

The question is this: For a fresh build will any motherboards on the market recognize the x6 without a bios update? Do they just run it as an X4 or something? Or do I need to wait for rev02 motherboards to show up at retailers before buying one?

Also I understand the 1055T is multiplier locked at x14. I'd like to get an 890GX motherboard if possible for sata 3.0 - do any of the big name boards have an advantage in front side bus stability? I'm getting DDR3 2000 RAM to go along with it and will be water cooling the processor so I'd like to have headroom there.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

I think the 890gx/890fx series of motherboards will be able to support the six core with no bios update. Other than that I think every motherboard needs one.

Asus is a good choice.

Scroll on down this link: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/04/27/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-mobo-review/3

Bit-tech does a nice FSB test with all the mobos they get. And yes all 8 series motherboards support X6 with their current BIOS. You may want to double check for an update on the manufacture site though.

Many thanks for the link - Asus does seem the way to go for now.

Every 890GX motherboard on Newegg has had a bios update within the past 2 weeks listing CPU support.

For instance, from Asus:
M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 BIOS 1301
01. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

So I wasn't sure if they would just not recognize the Phenom II x6 or how it would be handled. The x6 still isn't listed even under the latest BIOS on Asus support site. Regardless I went ahead and bought the M4A89GTD so I'll see if it works - hopefully this weekend.

Back