Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Speed sensor for 4 pin antec fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 05:41 PM Thread Starter   #1
Deusdies

Speed sensor for 4 pin antec fan

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to overclocking

I have 4 case fans in my case: 2 are Rosewill's and 2 are Antec's that came with the case. I also have a fan control unit with the display that I bought on Newegg. The unit is capable of displaying RPMs and temperatures.

Unfortunately, only the two Rosewill fans' RPMs are read (they have a 3 pin sensor cable). The other two have the old-fashioned 4 pin. While I can control their speed, I still can't read RPMs on the display.

So, is it possible somehow to enable these two fans to display the RPMs?

I'm sorry if this is a very noob question

Thanks
Deusdies is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-30-10, 11:13 PM   #2
HiProfile

Do you mean a 4-pin molex, as in this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._connector.jpg

If so, it will depend on if the fans have the circuitry in them. They probably do, but you'll have to pull the fan apart, solder a wire to the correct mystery spot, and run it out to your fan controller. I've never been a big worry-wart when it comes to RPM, besides maybe cpu fan. If the fan does it's job well, knowing the exact rpm is almost pointless.
HiProfile is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool