• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-register Vista on which of these interm HDDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have had Vista HP 32 installed on a pair of Raptor 37GB HDDs in RAID0. One of the Raptors just failed. It may take me a few months to get the SSD HDD I want (OCZ 100GB Vertex 270/270 r/w iirc). So in the mean time I have a couple of options for a boot HDD to get me from now till then.

As far as lessening the odds I'll need to explain to MS when I re-register (& then re-re register) the same exact MS Vista HP 32 O/S disk on too many different boot drives.

I have two immediate options- A Segate 500GB I also already have, or use just one of the Raptor 37GB HDDs which was originally part of the RAID0 array already. If I use the Raptor alone again is this a better idea? Will it be verified recognized as a NULL(hw)-change? I am not so much worried now as I am come a few months from now when I need to install the SSD HDD and RE-re-register the same Vista HP 32.

All of the other hardware is all the same btw. Size don't matter, but will I be able to even format/iow install onto the (good) fully crashed-from-RAID0 Raptor? Upon now booting I get the text mesasge "No Operating System Present". I knew only one of these Raptors was slowly about to fail completely. There is a good Raptor still, but its now crash-locked into a half RAID0 formatting. What to do if I can/should use this?

Is it better/likely to use the Raptor over the other completely new HDD (Seagate 500GB)?

Last edited:
Depending on which 500 GB drive that is, I think I would be likely to run the OS on the Raptor, and use the 500 for storage. As long as the hardware is the same, aside from the RAID, I don't think you should have any troubles reactivating.

there is no need to relate to convenience. Its the cheapest Seagate 500GB - $55 CDN nine months ago.

I am wondering yet again about whether I can install on the Raptor (eg format ok) since I have no HDD software apps (like Partition Magic) and will be relying on the MS Visat disk to take care of that during the install. Any comments. Sorry, got to go for a piece. TIA

there is no need to relate to convenience. Its the cheapest Seagate 500GB - $55 CDN nine months ago.

I am wondering yet again about whether I can install on the Raptor (eg format ok) since I have no HDD software apps (like Partition Magic) and will be relying on the MS Visat disk to take care of that during the install. Any comments. Sorry, got to go for a piece. TIA

You shouldn't have any problems formatting that disk with the Vista App. If anything, you could always download a Ubuntu LiveCD from HERE, and use Gparted which is included on the disc to format the HDD if you have any troubles. I would stick with OS on the Raptor, and data on the Seagate. I don't think you will have any problems.

I'd use the Raptor for OS. You paid for the speed, use it.

Reactivating won't be an issue. At worst you'll have to do a phone activation (and explain to the nice lady in India what happened).

When breaking a raid I always run fixboot and fixmbr from recovery console before formatting. If you have (or can download) a DOS disk, Fdisking the drive first would be a good idea too.

Back