• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Overclockers Folding@Home Team Spotlight #87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Overclockers Folding@Home Team Spotlight #87
by dfonda

Our Overclockers.com Folding@Home Team has been running member spotlights for quite some time – this is the 87th feature in our series of Folding Spotlights!

Thank you for the interview DismorphiC !

Dfonda: When did you join the Team DismorphiC ?
DismorphiC: April 4th of 2009, I believe. I first had points several years prior, but had not folded since then because I was participating in the BOINC enabled projects. I was involved in the previous incarnation of SETI@Home (Now called classic "work units" in the stats page) for several years dating back probably to around 2002 or there about.

D: What are your EOC stats?
DC: EOC stats

D: If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow team members to know about, what would it be?
DC: I ran the GPU folding client on my laptop under Linux...What a horrendous waste of time! It got way too hot, so I had to keep it throttled down. Somewhere shy of 100ppd! Great fun though!

D: What part of the world do you live in, and if you don’t mind telling, what town?
DC: Southern Cali, about an hour east of LA.

D: How did you initially hear about F@H?
DC: PeddlerOfFlesh kept giving me crap about using so much computing power to search for Aliens./forums/member.php?u=63916

D: After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
DC: This Team is full of so many cool people with a lot of spirit. I do it for the good of mankind, with the help and support of the Team. Certainly feels good to climb the ladder so quickly too! I had previously never bothered to check on stats or pay attention to teams with my BOINC projects.

D: What do you do for a living?
DC: Systems Admin, but really any part if IT. We are spread pretty thin. Lets just say I am the only one that does our SA, Network, Backups, Windows, Linux, and Solaris servers. Weee!!

D: What do you do for fun?
DC: Hang out with my 2 year old son. I am a Drummer in a Band. Work on my VW R32 (Supercharged, pushing close to 400HP@Crank, with AWD)

I suppose that gives away where I work, but oh well. Wrench on my 69 Vespa (Fully restored with some go fast parts) and a 98 Jeep (Installing a 3.5" lift on it this week). Also, Linux junkie just for fun. Always tweaking my Linux HTPC and any other machine lying around my house. Biggest accomplishment? My wife who detested computers prior to meeting me, now prefers to use a console to search for and launch video's with locate\grep -i!

D: Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your favorite? What all do you use the rig for?
DC: No "main" rig, I use bits and pieces of two racks of servers and a couple of desktops.

D: Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many, and what are they?
DC: The number varies depending on what work is being done on the servers, but up to 30 usually. Dual and Quad core 2.6 to 3 GHz Xeons. Also a couple of Mac Pros with Nehalem core Xeons.

D: What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
DC: I would like to record some more of my own music. No intention of being a rock star, this is just for fun. I have been in many bands over the years but nobody can play the songs I wrote, like I can, so I figure I would like to make a one-man-band studio album.

D: If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
DC: With SMP2 in Windows can I finally just run -smp16 ? SERIOUSLY!

D: A few Pics of your Farm, Hobbies, even you! Etc.

Linux-cake-300x225.jpg

Click here to continue reading and to view the rest of the images

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited:
Hey there DismorphiC, great to have as Team mate and to find out more about you too,

Great interview dfonda,

Great to meet you DismorphiC!!! :beer:

Drummer here too... although I don't play like I used to I still pick up the sticks once in a while. :)

Way to go DismorphiC! :beer:

Nice to know more about the person who is going to be passing me in not too long!

Nice to meet you D!! I am learning to play bass myself (got a custom Ibanez Ergodyne 400, actually probably a collectors guitar, but still sounds great!:D), but I'm not quite good enough for a band or for any recordings yet. I will see if I still have a pic of it around here somewhere.;)

Edit: I was almost sure I had a pic of it in my Photobucket account. The pic was taken about 5 years ago, when I was still living in Oregon. I had a bit more time to practice back then, now any free time I get, I just want to sit down and take a breather.
mebass.jpg

Thanks guys!

Like overclocking a computer, I like to overclock my music. Death Metal FTW! :attn:

Sweet bass btw! Ibanez always has cool heavy-metal looking guitars. I've got one, not sure what one exactly it is. Always been a fan of the Gibson SG's though.

I personally prefer what is called Black Metal.:rock::attn: Here's a few vids to check out. Probably better if you don't try to view these from work, or when there are children around, but my 2 year old daughter loves it.:D

I really love the Ibanez, the sound is about as clean as you could expect. I also have one of these: http://www.bcrich.com/warlock_pack.asp but I haven't tried learning to play it yet. My wife is the one that seems to be more interested in electric guitar. I prefer the sound of the bass.:D My dream bass is a 5 string B.C. Rich Warlock with the neck through design. http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Warlock-5-String-Bass-584468-i1503569.gc, without the white trim and I would also like to have http://www.bcrich.com/bass_vortex_warlockRF.asp which is modeled after the bass that I.C.S. Vortex plays. He was with the band Dimmu Borgir, but got fired because of the usual band drama that every band seems to suffer from.

Edit: For some reason some links weren't working. Should be fixed now.

Last edited:
Dude, I saw Dark Funeral not too long ago, if I remember correctly it was a big show that also had The Faceless and Necrophagist. Immortal, yeah definitely epic. Check out this pic I got for my birthday:
2cfc89761e88596f81472f34ee1885dd.jpg

:-D I certainly appreciate Black Metal as well... pretty much anything brutal and heavy I dig haha

Glad to know I'm not the only one out there in Folding land... well besides PeddlerOfFlesh.

Dude, I saw Dark Funeral not too long ago, if I remember correctly it was a big show that also had The Faceless and Necrophagist. Immortal, yeah definitely epic. Check out this pic I got for my birthday:
2cfc89761e88596f81472f34ee1885dd.jpg

:-D I certainly appreciate Black Metal as well... pretty much anything brutal and heavy I dig haha

Glad to know I'm not the only one out there in Folding land... well besides PeddlerOfFlesh.

I had the chance to see Dark Funeral a couple years ago, but work got in the way of that. The bad thing is, at the time, that was sort of like a curse, and now it would be like a blessing.:bang head If Sydney is still around, he is quite the metal head as well.:rock::rock:

You metal heads should come post in the metal club link in my sig.

And fold on:attn:

I have actually posted up in that thread, though it has been quite a while. I may have to revisit it soon when I have more time.

Back