• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my HDD dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dabba

Long story short, windows developed an lsass.exe error (99% sure its not a virus) while trying to do a repair install of windows, so i back up my drive and try to format it using the windows installer and it kept saying there was an error with the disc. I attach it to my laptop via a usb converter and i format it fine from there. I go to install windows (dont format this time) and i keep getting either a disc error, or a page fault. Whats a page fault? I tried formatting again and it said there was an error with the disc. My next step is to use my laptop to format it again and try over but anyone have any idea whats going on? If it is dead, this PC seems to eat through them rather quick.

Smart wasnt enabled, i just did, but i still get the same issue, i cant even get past booting from the CD. The windows installer wont format it or install the installtion files to the HDD if already formated. It keeps claiming theres an error with the disc. My laptop has windows Vista. I attached it to my laptop via the usb adapter and my laptop can format the disc just fine, i also ran scandisc after formatting and found no errors. Any other ideas? Its just weird that the installtion disc for xp claims the disc has an error but my laptop doesnt find any such error

Alright, my next step then is to download and run a bootable memtest, well see how that goes.

Tried reseating them, one stick in one spot blue screened on me once, but ive been running memtest for the last hour and a half with no errors. Anyone know a good HDD diagnostic program thats free and can get a bootable iso? Think the drives dead or is there a chance to fix this haha

Most HD manufacturers have their own testing suite that should help figure out whats going on.

Last edited:
Yeah, checked the hiatchi site and it doesnt appear the diagnostic program is bootable. Anyone have any decent, free, bootable ones?:comp:

Of course. Tight as ever, was wondering if anyone had a bootable diagnostics they can reccomend before i go ahead and spend cash on another HDD

Back