• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Omni-focus video camera (Look!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100504173823.htm

University of Toronto, a world-leading research university, announces a breakthrough development in video camera design. The Omni-focus Video Camera, based on an entirely new distance-mapping principle, delivers automatic real-time focus of both near and far field images, simultaneously, in high resolution. This unprecedented capability can be broadly applied in industry, including manufacturing, medicine, defense, security -- and for the consumer market.

100504173823-large.jpg

Microscopes, Telescopes, TV cameras, Movie cameras, want!

Wouldn't that kinda cause issues with depth perception in photography and other applications? If the device capturing the image isn't stereoscopic, wouldn't all sense of depth be lost to the loss of focus-fuzz (I'm no photographer, don't know what that term is :p)

What are the implications of this technology? I'm interested in learning what the uses would be.

Thats hella cool. Theres plenty of applications where you want multiple objects in focus.

Wouldn't that kinda cause issues with depth perception in photography and other applications? If the device capturing the image isn't stereoscopic, wouldn't all sense of depth be lost to the loss of focus-fuzz (I'm no photographer, don't know what that term is :p)

What are the implications of this technology? I'm interested in learning what the uses would be.

Thats hella cool. Theres plenty of applications where you want multiple objects in focus.

Multiple objects in focus is great, but when you have no clue how far apart they are...

A "3d camera" is two cameras in one housing, generally speaking.
Hence you can slap two of these in a box and it's a 3d camera.

actually this gave me an idea so good i can't even post it here :) technically its even better than this version of the omni-camera

Back