• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 Unstable at 1600mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TylerDurden1985

Registered
So I used the XMP profile on this, 3 DIMM/2GB each with an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. Nothing is overclocked. The memory is supposed to run at 1600mhz, but I started getting bluescreens that said memory management error, so I figured I'd update the bios, then run memtest. I didn't get errors on any individual sticks or the 3 DIMMs together. However I am getting prime95 errors on the same workers (usually around 5,6, and/or 7). But when I used small FFTs I didn't get those errors, so I don't think its a CPU problem, its a RAM problem. I'm trying right now to see if underclocking it to 1333 would stop the errors, but if that doesn't work is it most likely bad ram? bad motherboard? what am I lookin at here? thanks

ok still getting errors with ram underclocked. anyone have any suggestions?

oh and the error is: rounding was .5 expected less than .4

Update: none of these things have corrected the problem so far:
- updating bios
- setting RAM bios settings to auto
- manually entering in RAM timings
- underclocking RAM

I am now running prime95 (blend tests) on individual sticks (which looks like its going to take forever...windows 7 on 2gb is sloooow)

Last edited:
Besides making sure the modules are installed to DIMMs A1, B1, and C1, try enabling X.M.P. Profile #1 for DDR3-1600 (BCLK of 133MHz x 12 DRAM multiplier), then manually change QPI/DRAM Voltage to 1.6V

Besides making sure the modules are installed to DIMMs A1, B1, and C1, try enabling X.M.P. Profile #1 for DDR3-1600 (BCLK of 133MHz x 12 DRAM multiplier), then manually change QPI/DRAM Voltage to 1.6V

hey, yea they are all installed on 1 lol the board doesn't even start up if you put them on 2, asus doesn't let you make a mistake lol

Why the 1.6V? on the board when I use XMP it puts it at 1.35, and that gives me a red number which I assume means its already getting high. is 1.6 dangerous?

The idea here is to start w/ a higher uncore voltage, and then progressively work your way down. Some chips require upwards of >1.5 VTT to run stably w/ a DRAM frequency of 1600MHz or higher. If Prime fails w/ the voltage between 1.5 - 1.6V, then the BSOD issue is being caused by something else.

The idea here is to start w/ a higher uncore voltage, and then progressively work your way down. Some chips require upwards of >1.5 VTT to run stably w/ a DRAM frequency of 1600MHz or higher. If Prime fails w/ the voltage between 1.5 - 1.6V, then the BSOD issue is being caused by something else.

OK so I tested all slots with different sticks individually, tried 1 and 2 sticks, no errors.

Then put in 3 and got no errors all day...

now all of a sudden I'm getting a new bluescreen: System_Service Exception
errors came back again in prime95, just upped the QPI to 1.6, CPU is getting too hot but no errors (i'm still on the stock cooling). Going to install new cooling and slowly lower voltage. thanks, this may have worked I'll update if I start getting new errors

**update - reinstalled new cooling (have the cuts all over my fingers to prove it...i hate motherboard pins), QPI is at 1.6, running prime 95 now....at least I can rest easy knowing my CPU won't fry (the stock cooler on these things is terrible and I still haven't upgraded my fan or washer modded my TRUE heatsink so I'm still not OCing material)

usually I get errors in 1st few minutes...so far so good

ok cpu temps still approaching 80 degrees after like 10 min prime95 (my normal load temps are 70 highest on stock cooling, with unmodded TRUE about same), but no errors after 5 min. Will let this run for a bit pending my CPU doesn't start heating up like crazy.

On a side note I'm really disappointed with intel. I called them and they basically told me the CPU gets hot and their fan stinks. OCing this thing is going to be annoying

Last edited:
Ok so it looks like this is working!!! thanks!

I put it at 1.5, which is what the technician from corsair I had spoken to a while ago told me was the "maximum" and that wasn't enough. I have it at 1.5125 and it seems ok right now, CPU is getting a bit hot in the 80's but I guess that's because once again my TRUE is not washer modded yet, and there is a crappy fan on it that they gave me.

Hopefully I can bring those temps down and get this thing to 3.8ghz

You can't do 1.9 on this board and Intel told me already that's waaaay too high. I used 1.6 and just got the memory management error again.

Could it be the CPU memory controller? I'm going to try clocking the memory at 1066 and see if I get the error still

oh and I stopped getting the prime95 errors...now I'm just getting random bluescreens. I think the QPI fixed the prime95 errors.

I'm keeping QPI at 1.5 (that should be way more than enough to run memory at 1066)

Anyone know what possible causes of memory management error are? I don't get errors on my RAM in memtest...could it be the CPU?

It could be a software problem possibly. I was having BSOD with my computer, i tried changing voltages, swapping sticks trying a different brand of RAM and then noticed that I had 2 sound drivers running at once in my device manager.

Turns out that the 2 drivers were conflicting with each other causing my memory errors, so I just disabled one.

What are your computer specs and OS? Are you running windows 7, XP? 32 bit operating system or a 64bit?

It could be a software problem possibly. I was having BSOD with my computer, i tried changing voltages, swapping sticks trying a different brand of RAM and then noticed that I had 2 sound drivers running at once in my device manager.

Turns out that the 2 drivers were conflicting with each other causing my memory errors, so I just disabled one.

What are your computer specs and OS? Are you running windows 7, XP? 32 bit operating system or a 64bit?

windows 7 64 bit.

you know what I'll check and see I have an x-fi card with onboard sound disabled in the bios but maybe I accidentally installed the driver. If I crash again right now I know its not memory speed and I'll try that.

I also have 3 hard drives on one rail...could that cause a problem?

I also have 3 hard drives on one rail...could that cause a problem?

Don't think it should.

And, if you have an onboard GFX chip on your MOBO and you have added a card to a slot you should go into your BIOS and check to make sure that the onboard card is disabled so it is not interfering with your card at all.

Don't think it should.

And, if you have an onboard GFX chip on your MOBO and you have added a card to a slot you should go into your BIOS and check to make sure that the onboard card is disabled so it is not interfering with your card at all.

no onboard graphics. I disable everything on the motherboard I'm not using (basically disabled 1 lan slot, onboard audio, the stupid ASUS gateway thing, and the floppy drive)

***Update:
So after raising QPI to 1.5 and lowering the memory speed to 1066, I've been running prime95 for 3 hours successfully. My CPU temps have also dropped 6 degrees I'm assuming from lowering the RAM speed and the QPI from 1.6

I read that the i7 chips are actually not meant to run over 1066 speed, and an intel technician confirmed that. So maybe I just got unlucky and got a chip that cant handle the 1600? I'm not worried much about faster ram speed, doesn't really affect gaming performance much anyway. I'll update if I get another crash, because if I do at 1066 and 1.5 QPI I think I can safely eliminate the memory speed as the cause.

Also, I just realized I haven't posted my full specs (which might have helped lol)

GTX 480 SLI | Intel i7 930 @ 2.8ghz | Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 (2x 3gb) | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo | Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w PSU | Creative X-Fi Extreme Music | Windows 7 (64-bit)

Last edited:
My computer just lasted 9+ hours on prime95 with the settings:

QPI 1.5, speed at 1066, timings standard 9-9-9-24...basically i'm using XMP profile 1 with QPI adjusted to 1.5 and speed at 1066 instead of 1600

so the intel guy was apparently correct about these i7's not really liking anything over 1066. If my computer holds up for 48 hours after I do my own stress test on it of alt+tabbing through a lot of programs (which seems to trigger the memory crash faster than prime95 could), I'm going to assume it was the 1600mhz speed that did it.

Is it worth pursuing speeding up the memory? Or should I just leave it alone? I mean if its not going to affect gaming performance much then I don't care, I'm not really familiar with benefits of overclocking RAM.

Also, is it possible the CPU just couldn't keep up with the faster ram....if I overclocked the CPU would that possible HELP the situation?

advice is much appreciated thanks!

With QPI/DRAM voltage lowered to 1.35V (start w/ a Vcore of 1.35V, then work your way down), and DRAM voltage set to 1.65V and 9-9-9-24, give these settings a try for 4.0GHz...

Code:
JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 20X
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
BLCK Frequency: 200
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1603MHz
UCLK Frequency: 3208MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: 7218MT/s

DRAM Timing Control:

1st Information : 

CAS# Latency: Auto
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: Auto
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: Auto
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM REF Cycle Time: Auto
DRAM Write Recovery Time: Auto
DRAM Read to Precharge Time: Auto
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: Auto
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay: Auto

2nd Information :

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC: Auto

3rd Information :

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.35000
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88 
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advance CPU Settings
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Disabled

With QPI/DRAM voltage lowered to 1.35V (start w/ a Vcore of 1.35V, then work your way down), and DRAM voltage set to 1.65V and 9-9-9-24, give these settings a try for 4.0GHz...

Code:
JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Frequency: 200
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1603MHz
UCLK Frequency: 3208MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: 7218MT/s

DRAM Timing Control:

1st Information : 

CAS# Latency: Auto
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: Auto
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: Auto
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM REF Cycle Time: Auto
DRAM Write Recovery Time: Auto
DRAM Read to Precharge Time: Auto
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: Auto
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay: Auto

2nd Information :

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC: Auto

3rd Information :

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.35000
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88 
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advance CPU Settings
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Disabled

I'll try it but why would that work if my 1600 was unstable at qpi of 1.6 with voltage at 1.65? won't turning QPI down cause the same problems again?

Is it possible to overclock CPU without overclocking the RAM?

ERRORS AGAIN! Now I'm getting prime95 errors again too! It's not the memory speed it's definitely something else

So the computer literally runs fine for a day, then bluescreens with the memory management error, as soon as that happens I start up run prime95 and get errors.

But yesterday I ran prime95 for 9+ hours with no errors.

So something is inconsistent here. I'm sure my power is enough....1200w, that shouldn't be the issue right?

UPDATE:

I just noticed in coretemp, I saw my frequency flash to some INSANELY high number, then down to 1603, then to 2900....

what is the frequency being shown in coretemp, the CPU or the RAM frequency?

It started at 1600, then 2900, then it went back to 1600, hten it said like 4959804339 or some gigantic unreasonable number, then back to 1600. will post pictures if I can get a good capture.

Last edited:
Back