• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi,
Recently I bought a 1TB WD Caviar drive so's I can get rid of the 4 Smaller/slower drives: 2 sata and 2 IDE
I installed Win 7 64bit and it runs fine.

Now...this is where I need help. I took one of my sata drives out of the case and booted up only to find that error you get when no OS is found. So i did the obvious steps of checking my boot order, still my New drive is not showing. I tried plugging the New drive to another SATA port...still not booting. I put the old drive back in and I can boot no problem.
Whats going on?
What i want is take out the older drives and have only new WD as the primary drive.
Any help is appreciated.
I will admit that I know very little about raid and sata configs. Sadly ive always kept my OS on an IDE drive.

Most likely the boot sector was installed on one of the other drives. You should be ablet to remove the other drives, boot to the Windows 7 disc and do a startup repair.

Try this... Press F12, and select HD, then the 1TB drive directly. See if it boots. If not, then bchur83 would be correct.

Dagnabbit! He is correct:-/
Ok..I needs a little education here. When I installed my OS, I formatted the new drive, made a 100g partition and installed Win 7 on it, made sure it was set as the first drive to boot from. How did the boot sector get to another drive?
What did i do wrong and how can I correct it?

Dagnabbit! He is correct:-/
Ok..I needs a little education here. When I installed my OS, I formatted the new drive, made a 100g partition and installed Win 7 on it, made sure it was set as the first drive to boot from. How did the boot sector get to another drive?
What did i do wrong and how can I correct it?

It is possible you formatted the wrong drive... and or the 1TB drive CANT be seen by your motherboard...

You'll need to re-install the OS..

This time remove all of the drives except the 1TB. ;)

It is possible you formatted the wrong drive... and or the 1TB drive CANT be seen by your motherboard...

You'll need to re-install the OS..

This time remove all of the drives except the 1TB. ;)

Thanks for your helps guys!
I took the other drives out and loaded Win7 again onto the new TB drive After it installed I saw the folder w/ the old windows on it. Soooo....My OS was previously installed on the 1tb drive, it was not booting into it when i took the other drives out...why would that be?
Anyways...everything is working fine now, except a little bit of separation anxiety having to take out my old drives. Time for some external drive enclosures.

Last edited:
Back