• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia GTS 250 too hot at 100 celsius

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheEaterOfSouls

Registered
i need help with gts 250 in metro 2033 dx9 with texture flitering AF 4x i get 103 degrees celsius its crazy.......i tested with evga precision v1.4.0 i just saw that in the menu of the game the temp rises to 85-90............ i think its the fan speed becouse in evga precision the fan speed is set to auto but even at 80 the speed remains 35 i dont know maybe its the windows xp it got bugged or something or.... becouse my case is in that desk special place and this is my case http://www.overclockmania.net/oc2/smallimg/p1523.jpg thermaltake swing.. and the graphic card its not oc....... i realy need some help

100C is "normal" for a modern graphics card. Many cards have a "bad" BIOS, though, with a poorly designed fan-speed ramp. Check the OEM's web site for a new BIOS (for the GPU, not the motherboard).

Turn the speed up to 100% and see what temps your card gets to.
How dusty is the card? That will significantly raise the temps (my temps went from 76-79 all the way down to 67-69 under full load)

well the card isnt dusty and now with 100% speed it gets to 83 btw if i keep it at 100% wont it get damaged over time?

I still wouldn't feel safe running it at >80 degrees but then I do like to keep my 260 under 75 degrees (limit is 105 :D).

Run the fan at 90-95% if you're worried. A slightly lower voltage but the air moved is almost exactly the same.
The limit for the 250 is actulaly 105 degrees C so you probably could run it that hot (even so I've heard from a couple of people that those are just to make you feel better about it running to hot :p).

hmm thx ....so for this card this high temp is normal?? or/and should i do/buy something to make it cooler?

My opinion is probably invalid since I like things to be ridiculously cold :p

If you want you can strap another fan on-top of the fan part. Just use cable-ties around the GPU to hold it in place.
This will obviously only work if you haven't got anything in the slot next to it but it should drop your load temps all the way down to about 65 degrees under full load (possibly 70) but that's if you have your GPU fan at 100%.
Just hold the GPU fan at 80% and you should have 70-75 maximum.

Your temps are fine, thats a hot GPU game.

May I suggest what we use in many forums at the king for GPU loading right now?

Run Furmark, on air 10 min is more than enough. Set it up to show the temp graph as you run it. Set it up with the same AA and res settings you use in game.

Then we can compare to many other results.

I never did like high GPU temps. There are more than 3 aftermarket air cooled solutions for your card. Don't have to have the fan at 100000 RPM. Look at Thermalright as the king for air GPU, there are others. Google smartly, look for solid reviews, not some hack marketing store selling crap.

Surprised no one has mentioned the simple standby of Good Airflow.
My floppy drive cable crossed between the intake of my case and my GTS 250 and temps were 10 degrees C cooler after I removed the floppy cable.

Tucking away any wires/cables/ribbons that block airflow to your card could help significantly.

Running a fan at 100% constantly shouldn't cause damage. All of the fans in your computer, (edit: minus the GPU fan) unless you have a fan controller or your mobo controls them, run at 100% all the time.

I run my GTS 250's fan at 100% since I've got it folding and I haven't had any problems with the fan.

Last edited:
I have a GTX275 and folding it doesn't go above 70C. I only keep it at 70% on the fan too.

Case might help, Antex 1200. But in terms of hierarchy, where do these two cards stand?

Well, the GTS 250 has 128 shader cores, while the 275 has 260 I believe. That's the big factor which effects performance. The 250 is in the same segment as the old 6600s were when the 6 series was hot, it being the card aimed at the 'mainstream' market, where as the 260 is like a 6800 'gaming' and the 275 a 6800 ultra, 'enthusiast' if you remember the 6 series :p Antec is the manufacturer, by the way, just in case you try lookin for Antex cases :p My GTS 250 folding will be between 77-85 depending on ambient temps. In fact, right now it's at 86 but I have the air con turned off.

Well, the GTS 250 has 128 shader cores, while the 275 has 260 I believe. That's the big factor which effects performance. The 250 is in the same segment as the old 6600s were when the 6 series was hot, it being the card aimed at the 'mainstream' market, where as the 260 is like a 6800 'gaming' and the 275 a 6800 ultra, 'enthusiast' if you remember the 6 series :p Antec is the manufacturer, by the way, just in case you try lookin for Antex cases :p My GTS 250 folding will be between 77-85 depending on ambient temps. In fact, right now it's at 86 but I have the air con turned off.

Huh, weird that the supposed lesser gets warmer.

well i dont have any cable near the card ok so i runned the stablity test in FurMark 1280-1024 4xAA with 85 fan speed in 2 min was 90 C third minute was 94 C forth was 97-98 and in the fifth minute was 100 and i stopped yeah and it started with 64 degrees i guess .....later i saw in evga precision that when i started the test from 50 it went in 2 sec to 74 :)).

Last edited:
64C idle means only 1 thing, bad airflow in your case,

try to open the panel (just watch out for oem built computers i don't want you to invalidate your warranty) and get a fan blowing air right into the fan intake of the card.

i wouldn't be surprised if your gpu won't go higher than 60C while gaming . . .

I'm confused. The GTS 250 is a G92 core and should be NO WHERE near that temperature normally. My GTX 260 never goes above 70c.

Either case flow is a problem, which is my guess looking at that case. It doesn't seem to have a lot of air movement. Open the side and aim a house fan at the side of the case; report back temperatures.

It is one of a few things:
1) Airflow
2) Dust/other stuff
3) Heatsink seating

This card should not be running that hot normally. I have a 8800GT in one of the computers here with a single slot cooler and it hits these temps. Yours should be substantially lower.

no you got me wrong in idle its like 45-50 right now i have 45-46 the pc is opened from 1 hour and i was away ... no warranty btw i buyed by pieces and for the house fan?.. like that big fan? and Zantal what do u mean by "blowing air right into the fan>> intake <<of the card." (and sry for my english spelling)

Any house fan will work fine. You just aim it at the card (with the door off) and see if temperature drop a lot. If they do, airflow is your problem.

To check for a bad heatsink mount push down on the heatsink. If the temps start to fall while you're pushing it in then it's improperly mounted. Just make sure you're supporting the other side of the card so it doesn't snap at the PCI-E connection bit.

hmm well i think its the airflow with the pc outside off the desk "-1 or 2 degrees" "like i said i didn't kept it ON the desk or somewhere with more space but i was planning to" and with the door off "-4 , 5" (both tested) in idle is like 38-39 anyway il try with the fan tomorrow to see the ingame temp and idle

I'm really confused at how that was explained :s

Are you saying that when you take the components out of the computer and put it on your desk the temp drops by 1-2 degrees?

Back