• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclockers, have many questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowtheman

Registered
Alright a friend of mine suggested overclockers, I thought is was a good Idea so I joined.

A little about me. I am a moderate computer tech who started around the 1998 area, and finally was able to build a computer after so long. Things seem to work great but there is always room for improvement. So I figured I would post myself here for scrutiny.

My build
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard58162567

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX8060192058162567

MSI R5750-PM2D1G Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card58162567

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

3--HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive59389327

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

IN WIN Maelstrom Black SECC(0.8~1.0mm) ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Cooling.
4-Rosewill RFX-120BL 120mm 2 Ball Bearing Blue LED Case Fan

4-120 standard case fans

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

this includes a temp controller for all these fans.
Case fans under and independent controller and the H50 under the mother board soft ware, that I control manually from windows.
All together there ended up a total of 11 fans. Two are component specific.

O.S.
Win 7, home premium 64 bit.

Not overclocked yet.

So as far as I can see things seem fine. Yet. My friend brought up some interesting counter points to my build that I would like to ask about.

He told me that the H50s liquid dissipates over time, It currently keeps my cpu at about 32c and I have had the computer for just under a month.
I would rather figure this out before its to late. How long before my h50 dies and what do you suggest for a new cooler?

The second and last so far is about my power supply. I was planning to use my crossfire eventually but from what I have heard the Roswill I bought although nice is inconsistent in its performance. Is this true and of course what would you suggest as a good replacement for my system?

Other wise I was just planning to upgrade my memory, my video (Crossfire) and maybe replacing my cpu with the latest after a year they came out.

your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated and maybe you can teach this old dog some new tricks. :thup:

:welcome: to Overclockers forums.

With the H50 I wouldn't be concerned right now, First and foremost you have a two year warranty from Corsair, As far as replacing it, I wouldn't even begin to worry about it yet, Really just watch for your temps to slowly rise after a period of time, This of course is assuming you keep your fans clean etc so you get the same airflow throughout the lifetime of your cooler.
As far as your PSU, I will be honest, I'm not a fan or Rosewill, Your particular model was built by ATNG, Frankly, Their rep is pretty suspect in regard to producing quality units. I owned one Rosewill years ago and it didn't last 6 month's. As far as going crossfire with it, You can always try, But honestly when you can afford to do so I would replace it. Corsair and Seasonic are the brands I feel most comfortable recommending, There are of course many more well built options available, With those two companies the quality is very consistent year after year. Johnny Guru is a great site for reading up on power supplies and finding some very helpful reviews. I will link below.
You will find many of us here are real particular about our power supplies, When you build a really nice rig, You really want a nice engine to drive it, One that delivers clean power and if by chance it fails, It won't take other components with it, That is the big fear with low quality PSU's, Not just that they will fail, It's that they can take something with them when they go.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

I didn't include the use in my first post due to its lengthy nature. How ever I am a casual gamer. I'm not big into stomping on my friends with performance or nothing like that and I enjoy watching movies and music.

So far every thing has worked out fine all my games from AVP to Diablo 2 works fine.

Thanks ScottinIndy I will put what you said to mind and check out that link.

Back