• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably time for a PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

Well my Xbox360 RRoD'd several weeks ago and all attempts to breathe it back to life have been successful (Albeit short lived) and I'm really quite tired of M$ at this point.

I COULD buy an Arcade 360 for $199 and throw my 20GB HDD in it, or I could spring another $100 for the PS3 which seems to give me the things I'd care about nowadays (NetFlix and BluRay to name, I didn't care about these back in 2008 because I didn't have a decent enough TV or a NetFlix sub)

Anyway I'm just looking for votes/a concensus - whether to get a new 360 Arcade or just get the PS3 (I only liked the Xbox for GoW/Halo which isn't that big a deal to me anyway. And yes, my Xbox is out of Warranty)

i went from ps3 to xbox and im never looking back.
ps3 has free internet free wireless internet and free psn (xbox live)
about the same amount of people play psn as live users.
blue ray videos look great
netflix is the best thing to ever happen to a console
and you dont have to pay 100 bucks to get a wireless router ps3 has one built in.
Graphics are EXACTLY the same dont let anyone tell you something different they use very similar cards just some games are made to look better on the ps3 and some are made to look better on the xbox
so definitely go ps3

Owned both 360 and ps3 and both got the same amt of use. Since you are going to shell out money for a new system, might as well go with ps3 since it have blu-ray and already come with a hdd.

Save even more money by ebay/craiglist your 360, I'm sure there is quite a few people out there that can really fix the rrod 360 and resell it.

Don't think the PS3 is immune to issues though...Yes Blu-Ray is great, swith HDD is cool....But Netflix requires the disk to be put in before use.....Also if you are a multiplayer person, You will notice a BIG difference in lag, bad connections, etc on PS3 vs LIVE. I have 3 PS3's and 2 Xbox's in the house, all hardwired. I've had RROD, and YLOD too. Both have died on me. So they both have their issues.....

Truely the thing you will have to think of is switching from X360 to PS3, is games and controllers. Those will set you back money but you should be able to sell the X360's without to much of a hit on the pocket book.

I had one X360 die on me, though I bought a new one and slapped my 120Gig HDD back onto it and have been going good since. A little hickup yes, and yes it does suck but with as much stuff I got for my X360 not letting a glitch like that get to me. If I have a console I typically stay with it for that generation, and the next gen I might switch just depends on my gaming style.

I'm just digusted by console quality with this generation - maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy but this crap didn't happen in the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 days (Except the slim)

How the hell did Foxconn produce a console for M$ that has a 30%+ failure rate? And I still found the 3 year extended insulting ... should've been a lifetime warranty in my opinion.

Although I don't know what I expect for $200 *sigh*

I'm just digusted by console quality with this generation - maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy but this crap didn't happen in the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 days (Except the slim)

How the hell did Foxconn produce a console for M$ that has a 30%+ failure rate? And I still found the 3 year extended insulting ... should've been a lifetime warranty in my opinion.

Although I don't know what I expect for $200 *sigh*

Actually it did happen. Both the PS1 and PS2 were notoriously terrible for having either their lasers go out on them or the tracking units go bad on them.

The original X-box had a run of crappy Thomson drives in them but it was sorted out when they started putting Phillips and Samsungs in there.

Before that gen (CameCube, Xbox, PS1/PS2) I can't really remember there being so many problems. Even with CD based units, Sega, Panasonic, NEC and Phillips really didn't have a bunch of problems and the only problems cartridge based consoles ever had was people corroding the contacts by blowing in them instead of properly cleaning them or using a cartridge cleaner device.

My contacts have never corroded. :shrug:

The only consoles I've owned that have crapped out are the Gamecube, 360 and Wii. Gamecube just stopped doing ANYTHING with the discs. 360 was the RRod and the Wii was a known but isolated problem. Video started to tear. 360 and Wii were under warranty. I tried replacing the lens, cd drive, and even cd drive controller board on the gamecube(like 15 in parts off ebay) same issue. I ended up getting another indigo one from a local store though :bday:

My PS2 only crapped out because I played with its insides and did something wrong. My 60 gig PS3 and now my second version 80 gig PS3's have been solid. Both on 24/7 folding. (sold the 60 gig like an idiot for christmas money)

I've had a PS3 for ages-whenever they first came out. I'd had a good experience witha PS2 before that. But once I upgraded my PC to adequate hardware etc its really hard fo me to play the PS3. I've never had any problems with it. Works great. But generally speaking my graphic/in multiplayer on the PS3 are pretty bad--that is bad compared to anything on my PC. So that's one thing. Its not like I need the "pretty picture'. Its that I'm less competitive in a game if I can't see my opponent! Plus I'm older and have some general vision issues. So clarity is a big deal. But having said that the PS3 network which I've just played recently etc--Not experienced but only 10 or 15 hours maybe--works really good for me. The only problem is I play sooooo badly with a controller. Its a joke my enemies in MW2 have to promise not to move!! I think i just need to practice more, but its miserable coming from my PC and mouse where I'm plenty competitive. But I'm guessing like in PC MW2 where i use Steam network that the PC sucks--mine does! I guess its their "equalization" or whatever because hosts of games will ask me "why I'm so slow" etc. I've got a good gaming machine and a 30ping in most of western north america etc. So its not me. I guess its Steam! I'm supposing more and more multi is being driven to consoles for reasons like this. But boy its hard for me to get with those console joy stick thingees. :bang head

I bought my 360 launch day at midnight, and have never had a single issue with it. Ever. Bought a PS3 Slim 250GB at Christmas, and never use it save for watching Blu-Rays. I'm now in the process of selling the Playstation. I wanted to love you again Sony, but I just can't. I'm an xbox man and will be forever after.

The dreamcast is notorious for its laser failing.

Catridge based had the well known swab n blow technique

360 fails more often then it probably should but the PS3 is a space heater and HT all in one.

Still debating a PS3 instead of a stand alone BD player but I dont console enough to truly justify it.

I bought my 360 launch day at midnight, and have never had a single issue with it. Ever. Bought a PS3 Slim 250GB at Christmas, and never use it save for watching Blu-Rays. I'm now in the process of selling the Playstation. I wanted to love you again Sony, but I just can't. I'm an xbox man and will be forever after.

At least til the next gen's come out.

Back