• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GTX470 -> Pics + stock benches (N470GTX-M2D12)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

GTX 470 Real World Review

In this micro review, I will use an unorthodox method to bench the card - since this card has already been thoroughly tested. My goal is to give an idea of what to expect in reality, and settings will be adjusted with playability at 1920x1080p. The card is accompanied by a system that would be a midrange-to high end typical build to accompany such a card. System used will be all stock. Synthetic benches are simply there as a reference to other reviews.

I will also introduce you to Average Minimum Frame Rates (AMFR or AMFPS)

Preliminary pics and settings: :attn:

HPIM2494.jpg

HPIM2504.jpg

First thing I noticed is how small and compact the card is compared to reference GTX200 series cards. Nice and refreshing. Gave me plenty of space left over in my mATX case, which could easily handle a 5970 to begin with.

HPIM2503.jpg

HPIM2505.jpg

System specs:

CPU: Core i7 860, LGA1156 @ 2.8GHz @ all stock settings
Motherboard: EVGA P55M SLI @ A68 bios, PCIe x8
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL @ 1333Mhz
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 750G
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283
PSU: Antec Signature SG-650
Case: Antec P180 Mini mATX

Quick temp check:

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

Nothing new here, temps hover in the 90's, and reach 92C in my case after about 15 minutes of 98-100% gpu usage. Fan remains under 70%, which leaves plenty of headroom for a hotter day. Ambient here is 24C. Heaven benchmark doesn't seem to push the CPU very much, as it only takes about 15% CPU usage during the whole bench, even full screen. A single core on my CPU can handle this bench easily. The spikes seen in the task manager performance tab was caused by me taking a screenshot and using paint to save it.

Reference synthetics:

After testing several settings, these seemed to produce the best balance of performance vs visual quality.

Heavensettings.jpg

Results:

heavenbench.jpg

I will now introduce you to my theory of framerate, and what figures are important to see:

Max Frame rates: In my opinion, this figure's only use is that sometimes it reveals some bottlenecks in CPU vs GPU balance. Downfall is it does not really show GPU power, simply that the scene was easy to render ex: pointing towards sky, inside a building etc...

Average Frame rates: Up to now, this is the standard way to measure a GPU's capability in comparison to others. This reading's downfall is it does not accurately represent the playing experience. Some people claim that a game is unplayable at anything under 30, 40, 50, 60 frames per second (fps). I believe this to be true to a certain extent. This is based on average readings, which are not very accurate in representing frame rates during intensive scenes, which can lower the system to crawling speed (under 20fps), but in average the system shows 35 frames per second. Also, a game's speed use to slow down when frame rates would decrease under a certain threshold. In recent games, I haven't seen it as the case unless the frame rates are severely slowed (5 fps and under).

Minimum frame rates: This reading's usefulness is only apparent when the minimum frame rate is either very near the average frame rate, or above your comfort level threshold, say 20-30 frames per second. Low scores, say 0 to 10 fps, are useless since they only show that the system slowed down at some point, but does not indicate how long this spike lasted for.

Average Minimum Frame Rates (AMFR or AMFPS): This is what I would like to introduce as a new standard for testing GPU's. It is the best representation (that I can think of), of what the game's experience will be on your computer. It represents all intensive scenes and what their sustained frame rate is. It usually is in between minimum and average frame rate results. Since I do not have a program which calculates this for me, I will add these readings by close observation. Another way to calculate this, would be a graph of fps over time, take a ruler and make a line which would reflect the average of minimum frame rates to a decent accuracy.

During the heaven benchmark, I paid close attention to the frame rate in each scene, and noticed that there was a lower frame rate that seemed to be a common theme during more intense scenes. These sustained readings were: 33, 33, 32, 31, 31, 32. In average, this is 32 frames per second. I would call this the Average Minimum Frame Rate. This shows a solid number which indicates the lowest frame rate to be encountered during gaming. My personal threshold is 20fps, but for this review I use 30fps. The settings used for this bench were almost perfect, since the AMFR (average min frame rate) was just above 30fps.

Average Minimum Frame Rates (AMFR or AMFPS) - Result: 32 frames per second

3Dmark06 score: 17919 3D Marks / SM2.0 6877 / SM3.0 8884 / CPU 4739
Settings: Default.

Vantage score:
Settings: Default. Physx OFF
vantage.jpg

/ Part 1

Next, gaming benches, game play only.

-D

Last edited:
- Physx enabled in nVidia control panel
- 3 runs per game, slowest one used (worst case scenario)

Crysis Warhead:

Crysis2010-05-1614-08-50-57.jpg

For this bench, I played through most of the first level on easy. Ran through gun blazing and blew up several vehicles in the process. I paused to get a screenshot. Game play was very solid at about 30fps, but dipped between 18 and 27 fps during explosions and action moments where several vehicles / guys are shooting at you.

To calculate AMFR for this, I went through the frame rate records and looked for any consistencies in the low frame rate area. During the most action-packed sequence, the frame rates sustained to an average of just over 22 fps.

Warheadbench-1.jpg

To increase the AMFR, I played with the settings:

Warheadgamer.jpg

This felt like butter, playing was very snappy. The gamer settings was necessary to increase the AMFR to near 30fps. This guarantees a solid gameplay. However, I am comfortable playing at Enthusiast. I got these results on run #3, where I started counting frames after the ladder. It only lowered the avg by about 2 fps.

Battlefield Bad Company 2

BFBC2settings.jpg

BFBC2Gameplay.jpg

Badcompanyamfr.jpg

Here I pushed the eye candy to near max; I didn't feel the need to push AA any higher than 8. I usually use 4xAA and 8xAF, any more than that and I can't tell the difference. This card eats this game for breakfast at what I call max settings.

Metro 2033

Metro2033settings.jpg

Metro2033screen.jpg

Metro2033.jpg

This game is very demanding graphics-wise, but this card can handle it very well as long as Advanced DOF is disabled. Again, I was aiming the settings at acquiring at least 30 AMFR. At these settings, the game played flawlessly.

Mass Effect 2

Very awesome game, immersion is A++ and I recommend this title. Unfortunately, the game is blocked at 60 fps. The good news, is that even at maximum settings, during game play the frame rate almost never drops under 60 fps. There is occasional dip to ~58, and RARE dip to ~54. I found it non necessary to post a single frame rate. Taking the 60spf block into account, resulting AMFR here is 60 fps.

Probably not the best screenshot the game can provide, I will upload something better when I get around to it, but this frame rate is what's displayed 99% of the time, whether outside or inside.

ME2deck.jpg

Conclusion

This is a great card. In this price segment, reviews show that it generally beats the 5850, so to me the price is justified. It handles DX11 features such as tessellation very nicely, which is why you purchase a DX11 card for. For today's games, it can easily pull off 1920x1080 while generally keeping decent eye candy.

Good:
- Outstanding DX11 performance
- Compact size
- Great 1920x1080 performance

Bad:
- Temps

Last edited:
should have bought it off newegg, they have stock of both the 470 and 480, i do not see one that says not in stock on there page

Just FYI - the sticker probably won't look like the one in your avatar. I have two MSI 470's and they both have the afterburner looking sticker instead. Mine have sequential serial numbers, which I thought was pretty cool. Speaking of Afterburner, you need to download beta version 5 and it will work great with your card.
For a single card though, I'd go with the GTX 480.. that's just my opinion.
Actually I do have one GTX 480 (EVGA), but not sure what I'll do at this point. SLI whoops some butt and is a very large boost over a single GTX 470, or 480 for that matter..

Just FYI - the sticker probably won't look like the one in your avatar. I have two MSI 470's and they both have the afterburner looking sticker instead. Mine have sequential serial numbers, which I thought was pretty cool. Speaking of Afterburner, you need to download beta version 5 and it will work great with your card.
For a single card though, I'd go with the GTX 480.. that's just my opinion.
Actually I do have one GTX 480 (EVGA), but not sure what I'll do at this point. SLI whoops some butt and is a very large boost over a single GTX 470, or 480 for that matter..

Yeah, I plan on changing my avatar to a personal GTX470 pic. I'll see how I like the 470, and will decide if its even worth SLI'ing... :D

-D

Yeah, I plan on changing my avatar to a personal GTX470 pic. I'll see how I like the 470, and will decide if its even worth SLI'ing... :D

-D

Sooo... I'll look forward to another 3-5 threads from you related to how GTX 470's perform when in SLi. :D

Heh, just bustin' on ya. Congrats on your new toy!

Any suggestions for areas to bench for Dragon and Mass Effect games?

Thanks

Areas? Bro, if its not repeatable to the frame/pixel, it isnt worth benching. "walkthrough" benching is so unreliable its not worth the effort IMHO.

Thats why I didnt bench BFBC2 even though I was chomping at the bit to do so. I wouldnt put my name on a walkthrough type benchmark.

Areas? Bro, if its not repeatable to the frame/pixel, it isnt worth benching. "walkthrough" benching is so unreliable its not worth the effort IMHO.

Thats why I didnt bench BFBC2 even though I was chomping at the bit to do so. I wouldnt put my name on a walkthrough type benchmark.

Cool, well, i'll find some. I'm just looking for the more intensive areas. This is not a comparison bench, its a solo bench. I'm just putting this card through the paces and sharing my experience of it. Its not like everything else out there, which has already been done. Its basically a detailed opinion.. :D

-D

Well, its not like anything out there b/c the results with that method are so unreliable. If you try to run the same area twice you will get notably different results since its you thats making things happen. You wont shoot in the exact same place, turn the mouse, etc all causing different results each time you go through it (which should be done to get a decent average).

Sorry, I dont mean to be a rain cloud, I see what you are getting at...its just not repeatable at all whereas normally any jow schmo off hte street can try to match a review's results as they are normally done with benchmarks that are consistent and repeatable.

Im still looking forward to your results.

Well, its not like anything out there b/c the results with that method are so unreliable. If you try to run the same area twice you will get notably different results since its you thats making things happen. You wont shoot in the exact same place, turn the mouse, etc all causing different results each time you go through it (which should be done to get a decent average).

Sorry, I dont mean to be a rain cloud, I see what you are getting at...its just not repeatable at all whereas normally any jow schmo off hte street can try to match a review's results as they are normally done with benchmarks that are consistent and repeatable.

Im still looking forward to your results.

No thats cool, I like being challenged, it shows that there is some interest in my work :D

I know what you mean, inconsistancies etc.. Yes, I am aware of that. I wasn't sure how I was going to go about that - until I actually tried it. With crysis, the results I got were done after repeating the gameplay on the level 3 times. Even though the gameplay was not identical, mouse turns etc.. It was still just making my way through the level while walking through the same paths, and causing similar damage/kills. I was actually very surprised at how close the results were. For the first warhead bench, I took the results from the 2nd batch, because it displayed the lowest results. But the others were all within 2fps. The average results were all within 1 fps. For my purposes, that is awesome. This was consistant through 2 other games, Metro 2033 and BBC2 showed similar results. I need to do more passes on BBC2 though.

-D

Back