Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

laptop heat problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 09:15 AM Thread Starter   #1
gibz117

laptop heat problem

i have an acer aspire 5735z laptop running linux (ubuntu 10.1). when it had vista (i hate windows other that XP) and was only a few months old, it would get hot as hell. even if it was upside down, in a windowsill, and just turned on, it would get very hot (almost burning to the touch) in about 5 mins. what the hell is wrong.

RIG-idk yet--case-IDK--mobo-Gigabyte P965-DS3--cpu-?--PSU-Ultra 500--ram-?--CNPS9700 LED--HDD-????

Gibz Heatware
gibz117 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-13-10, 09:24 AM   #2
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Have you tried checking the TaskMan?

Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
Test Bed - In flux
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-13-10, 10:02 AM   #3
Twigglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
Have you tried checking the TaskMan?
for....?

GOT 6? XIII
XIV
WE DO XL
XLIII
I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

Twigglish is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-13-10, 10:19 AM   #4
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigglish View Post
for....?
To check CPU usage! There could be some problem with software not allowing the CPU to go to low power mode.

Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
Test Bed - In flux
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-13-10, 10:30 AM   #5
Twigglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
To check CPU usage! There could be some problem with software not allowing the CPU to go to low power mode.
Some people need that info. Coulda meant check it for extra processes, unknown processes, etc.

GOT 6? XIII
XIV
WE DO XL
XLIII
I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

Twigglish is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-02-10, 01:29 PM   #6
tinymouse2

Sounds like the Hindenbook has a challenger!

I got a laptop from a femate that was reaching 70 degrees idle. I managed to break it when trying to re-solder the power connections back on (solder went everywhere ) but I replaced the TIM on the CPU. Got the temps down to 60-63 idle. I dared not prime it.

So yeh, you could replace the TIM. It's the same as replacing it with a desktop computer (unless I've been doing it wrong all these years or unless there's some kinda exception).

Sound Card: Asus D2X

Computer:
q9550 @ 3.8GHz
GTX460 @ stock
tinymouse2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.