• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset TIMs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

I was thinking about replacing the Thermal Interface material (TIM) of my motherboard Intel P55 Express heatsink.

I was thinking about changing the thermal paste on my Intel P55 Express Platform Controller Hub (PCH) (classically called a "southbridge") chip and using the stock heatsink (ASRock P55 Extreme motherboard hea).

A picture of an a (exposed) P55 Express die/package may be found:
From what I understand the thermal threshold of the Intel is 108 degrees Celsius.

If TIM on the Intel P55 Express PCH were replaced with an efficient Thermal Interface Material such as Innovation Cooling IC Diamond or TIM-Consultants TC Grease 0098, should a better overclock be attainable (air cooling)?

The system cooling is high-end air. Ambient temperatures do not exceed 33 degrees Celsius. Memory stock speed is by far faster than stock BCLOCK for processor.

It probably won't directly affect your overclock unless you were messing with the DMI link between the PCH and the CPU.

Back