• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New Build for OC i5.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staticfrost

Wanting to know if this will be okay to overclock?

Wanting to be able to play all games on high - extreme settings cryicis and wow CS:S and when new crysis 2 comes out and run Photoshop CS4.

finaljr.jpg

1 5770 wont be enough to run crysis on extreme settings without some stuttering...2 5770's probably can, though
looks decent other than that.

1. Retro is correct.. 1 5770 wont do it. Step up to 5850 if you want to run Crysis at its highest settings (with minimal AA).
2. Get a better brand PSU. While Im sure hte OCZ is fine, its not the best out there. For $80, get a better one like Corsair 550VX for $10 more.

Yeah, that PSU is way overpriced, although I can say I've had good experience with it as I built three different systems for others with it.

It was at microcenter for $25 after rebate when I bought it. You can find the OCZ 600-700 watt psu's for less than the price of that one. Like this one.

If you're running higher than 1680x1050 you might want to consider getting a 5850.

redofinal.jpg

or
OCZ StealthXstream 600W SLI Ready Power Supply $89.00 i changed the gfx card...

How well could i oc this? want to try and get it to 3ghz normal running and then 3.5when turbo mode. If possible.

Also should I change the motherboard to one that supports sata3 and usb 3?

Im not sold on OCZ PSU's... like I said, Im sure they are fine, but why not get something you KNOW is better (well we know, which is who you asked advice from) for the same cost?

For $100 Corsair 750TX.

There is this one but no TX750 on the site im getting parts from www.umart.com.au

Corsair VX-550 ATX Power Supply 120mm fan PCI-E Graphics Card Connector 6 SATA Connectors Universal [2] Instock $105.00

Well, it doesnt need to be corsair. CHeck out the PSU guide in my signature and look into something in the 600W+ area and see if you can get it by you. :)

Found this one which is still in price range... Antec ATX EarthWatts 650W $108.00 but in another thread people were paying out Antec PSU....

How well could i oc this? want to try and get it to 3ghz normal running and then 3.5when turbo mode. If possible.

Also should I change the motherboard to one that supports sata3 and usb 3?
SATA 3 is not that important yet, however USB 3 there some things starting to come out.

Turbo boost on at 3.0 GHz approximately i5 750, 20 multiplier +1-1-4-4
4 Cores Active - each core can run up to 3.0 GHz + 150MHz = 3.150 GHz, Total 4x3.150

3 Cores Active - each core can run up to 3.0 GHz + 150MHz = 3.150 GHz, Total 3x3.150

2 Cores Active - each core can run up to 3.0 GHz + 600MHz = 3.600 GHz, Total 2x3.600

1 Core Active - each core can run up to 3.0 GHz + 600MHz = 3.600 GHz, Total 1x3.600

Last edited:
If your looking for cheap try the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2!!! I owned for a couple of months then went with my Megahalems!

It should fit in that case. I really had a lot of fun with my AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2. But now I love my Prolimatech much more.

If your looking for cheap try the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2!!! I owned for a couple of months then went with my Megahalems!

It should fit in that case. I really had a lot of fun with my AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2. But now I love my Prolimatech much more.
/\ agrees. For the i5 the freezer 7 pro will cool it nicely, even overclocked to 4ghz my stay temps down. its quite affordable and fits on my very small motherboard.

I have no experience with 3rd party coolers but I'm just here to say - if you are not going to buy an after market cooler then you can still OC stably to 3.2ghz WITH turbo boost (which will give you up to like 3.8ghz or something). This is probably the most "efficient" overclock for the 750.

Just putting it out there.

Regarding the PSU - just go with the OCZ. No problems with it.

The majority of people here are High performance Computer users so they almost always recommend the very best of the best. However...many of us still make do w/ the less than stellar parts. If you are going to really stress your computer and try for the highest overclocks...follow their advice and go for the best parts. No one here will steer you wrong and everyone has the best intentions.

Back