• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to check whether system is stable or not from system stability chart ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manishrathi

Registered
I am using windows 7 - Home Premium

I wanted to check Reliability Monitor. I searched for it on google and I found that Reliability Monitor is located under "Maintenance" in Action Center.
When I ckeck "maintenance" tab in Action Center, that tab does not expand. Why is that ? WHen I search for Reliability Monitor in "search" box, it opens up in Action Center. So why am I not able yto open it by browsing ?

Is the chart coming up in Reliability Monitor "System Stability chart" ? If not, then whats System Stability chart ?
How to check whether system is stable or not from system stability chart ?
There are few events being displayed on the chart. How do I make sure about stability of system ?

Thanks

I have no idea what you are talking about.. sorry.

In order to test for system stability while overclocking or in general, you need to stress the CPU and subsytem. Run Prime 95 small fft for CPU and blend for the system.

It would help to know what system you are working with...I dont mind read on Monday's. :p

To test the stability of overclocked CPU, download the latest bug fixed version of Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

Number of torture test threads to run should be set to the number of CPU cores. However, Prime95 number of Torture Test threads should be 8 for the four core i7 CPU, not 4 like with the older CPUs.

The i7 runs hot. When running the Prime95 Torture Test for the old Athlon XP, alarm bells went off when the temperatures zoomed past 60° Celcius but I understand realistic OC threshold is now raised toward 90° for max stress when it comes to the i7 CPU.

Prime95 number of Torture Test threads should be 8 for the i7 CPU, not 4 like with the older CPUs.

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it may freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It is then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

For older processors, versions prior to v25 had the option of going to the Advanced section, setting the password to 9876 and then setting Priority to 10. (You weren't able to use your computer while Priority 10 Prime95 Torture Test was running, but it confirmed your system stability.) In version 25, priority options can be set by going to Test > Worker Windows...

3DMark used to test video card stability but now Furmark stresses the video cards much more.

You can't toggle the Maintenance section of the Action Center by clicking the chevron?

Attachments

• Action.jpg
    Action.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 790
You can't toggle the Maintenance section of the Action Center by clicking the chevron?

No I can not toggle Maintenance section.
But I was explained earlier that if there is nothing under the maintenance, then it will not expand. So is that the reason why I am unable to toggle maintenance section ?

Thanks

Back