• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my E6600 Core 2 duo bottleneck my GTX 260?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bryce86

Registered
Hello all. I recently made a post in the graphics card section about this and have pretty much gotten awesome feedback.

My Core specs are XP SP3 (home edition)
2gigs of 333MHz dual channel ram.
Brand Spankin new (GTX 260 /218 core)
Replaced my old Radeon X1950xtx card.
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz speed.

Now I posted in the gpu area because I play MW 2, and Starcraft 2 beta. And with my Old Radeon X1950xtx 512mb I could achieve a solid non fluctuating 45fps on medium settings at 1680 resolution. (native res for my 20 inch monitor)

Now when I put in the GTX 260, my fps started flopping around all crazy like, from a mediocre 30ish sometimes down to even 10 or 11 fps. Terrible.

Now I have since come to the conclusion that my dual core E6600 is running WAY TO HOT at idle, not to mention load. From when I boot my pc on my PC temps are 39C and 41C, and in a matter of 40 minutes my temperatures will surpass 60c,70c,80c. This is not very good. So I just recently bought new thermal paste off newegg, and a really nice heatsink. (I had stock before).

These new items will arrive shortly. As I am writing this my temps are 71C, and 70C and climbing so I am going to shut off my pc after this post for atleast 5 hours or so. I don't know how long my CPU has been running this hot because I have owned it since 2006. So who knows how long. I just recently checked temps like last week and found this out.

So the question is, after I reseat the new heatsink with new thermal paste and monitor temps, should my FPS increase? I think they should increase "if" the computer had been throttling because of temperatures. Or my FPS might not change at all Until I Overclock this CPU.

If I do OC this CPU to a 3.0Ghz, will I erase the bottle neck and get the full beastly performance boost that this GTX 260 offers? Any help and advice is appreciated, I will check on this post later tonight. Thank you all!

I have an ATI 5770 and my e8400 at stock speeds bottlenecked my system. Not until I got over 3.2 did that break the bottleneck. I could tell that was the speed because in 3dmark06 my video score did not increase anymore after that point and below 3.2 my score was drastically too low for what it should be.

Since the 5770 and 260 are almost identical in speeds I would gather it will be about the same.

Did you change the entire system at once, or just swap the GTX260 when you noticed the massive FPS drop?

If you had the E6600 the whole time, when you swapped to the GTX260, your performance should become better (at the same game settings - you did make sure all settings remained the same, right?). Regardless of if you are actually bottlenecked by your CPU, it should not decrease your performance going to a better card.

Sounds to me like either a.) your theory is correct and the CPU is performing throttling to protect itself, or b.) a setup/driver or hardware conflict issue.

Bottom line is a GTX260 should be easily outperforming that X1950 all other things (CPU) being equal. There is a legitimate problem, not just a bottleneck.

Once you get better cooling (BTW something is seriously wrong if you are idling at ~70 C with this chip, stock cooling or not.), see if things improve. If not, you can try OCing your CPU, but I doubt this will fix it. Processor should do 3.2 GHz easily with minimal voltage tweaks.

Good luck!

Hello all. I recently made a post in the graphics card section about this and have pretty much gotten awesome feedback.

My Core specs are XP SP3 (home edition)
2gigs of 333MHz dual channel ram.
Brand Spankin new (GTX 260 /218 core)
Replaced my old Radeon X1950xtx card.
Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz speed.

Now I posted in the gpu area because I play MW 2, and Starcraft 2 beta. And with my Old Radeon X1950xtx 512mb I could achieve a solid non fluctuating 45fps on medium settings at 1680 resolution. (native res for my 20 inch monitor)

Now when I put in the GTX 260, my fps started flopping around all crazy like, from a mediocre 30ish sometimes down to even 10 or 11 fps. Terrible.

Now I have since come to the conclusion that my dual core E6600 is running WAY TO HOT at idle, not to mention load. From when I boot my pc on my PC temps are 39C and 41C, and in a matter of 40 minutes my temperatures will surpass 60c,70c,80c. This is not very good. So I just recently bought new thermal paste off newegg, and a really nice heatsink. (I had stock before).

These new items will arrive shortly. As I am writing this my temps are 71C, and 70C and climbing so I am going to shut off my pc after this post for atleast 5 hours or so. I don't know how long my CPU has been running this hot because I have owned it since 2006. So who knows how long. I just recently checked temps like last week and found this out.

So the question is, after I reseat the new heatsink with new thermal paste and monitor temps, should my FPS increase? I think they should increase "if" the computer had been throttling because of temperatures. Or my FPS might not change at all Until I Overclock this CPU.

If I do OC this CPU to a 3.0Ghz, will I erase the bottle neck and get the full beastly performance boost that this GTX 260 offers? Any help and advice is appreciated, I will check on this post later tonight. Thank you all!

Hi ! Sorry for my nab english
I just wanna share, i have almost same rig as you.
its intel e2160 dualcore OC @ 3.20 Ghz + 260 GTX
When im OCing my e2160 to 3.20 Ghz , it reduce the bottleneck effect significantly.
About Cooling im using Hyper 212+ Cooler Master (Cheap but Monster)

Maybe My 260 GTX only just like 9800GTX now. Yeah not bad...

I gave 41 Avarage FPS on GTA 4 on Very High Setting but on 17" Resolution, yeah not bad xD.

So Yes ! OCing your CPU will it reduce the bottleneck effect significantly :D

Back