• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time OC! Seeking comments! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Massacah

Registered
Hey guys,

Title says it all. This is my first OC! I stress tested it for a couple of hours under Prime95, and I hope it's stable. I'll try benching in a bit for some scores. What do you think? Temps too high? Vcore too high? Any comments would be much appreciated!

Mobo: Rampage 3 Extreme
BIOS: V02.61
HT: ON
TB: OFF
Multiplier: 21
BCLK: 191
PCI Freq: 100
DRAM Freq: DDR3 1531 MHZ (Believe this calculates to 2:8?)
CPU Boltage: 1.32500 (CPUZ states 1.36 for some reason)
QPI/Dram: 1.2000
Dram bus voltage: 1.654 (Set on auto)
IOH: 1.25875
RAM: 8-8-8-24-1T

Cooling:-
Currently underwater!
Thermochill PA 120.3
Gentle Typhoons @1000 RPM each
Swiftech Apogee XT
MCP 355 w/ EK top

NOTE: Thermal paste was applied using the vertical method.

Cheers,
Mass:beer:

I'd run prime95 for 24 hours. That's a real stress test. Temps look good though (I'm assuming you hadn't stopped prime95 when you took that screen). I don't know how I feel about running 24/7 at 1.36Vcore. Looks like your cooling can definitely handle it, but it could potentially reduce the lifetime of the part.

Stressing for 24 hours is a complete waste of time IMO...30 minutes is about all I ever do anymore. :thup:
I've had a rig "24 hours prime stable" only to have it unstable in my daily use....
...whereas I've never stressed my current rig more than 30 minutes, but it's fine 24/7 ;)

Looks like a good OC, have you tried lower Vcore? Just a thought.
If you'd like a more logical approach to finding your max OC, check out the guide linked in my sig :thup:

I actually used your guide to get where I am Miahallen! :) I didn't like my temps so much, so I reseated my CPU block using a different method for the compound application, temps dropped 11C, didn't really expect that to happen, lol. I also lowered Vcore by disabling LLC, which I forgot to disable when I started OC'ing. Vcore is at 1.312 at the moment, while temps are @60 full load. Thanks, Mia. Couldn't of done it with out you.

Edit: Just woke up and prime95 hit the 7 hour mark with no errors. Guide said 6 hours, but it seems you take a different stand towards prime95 now :). So I guess I'll give my PC the break it deserves, lol.

Cheers,
Mass

Last edited:
Back