• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i do this? 5x2gb ram with 6slot mainboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey Guys

I'v been out the game for ages, last i played around there was only 3 ram slots on the mainboard.

Im getting an Asus P6X58D and i want to get 5x OCZ Plantinum 2gb sticks. (A budget thing)

Anyone able to give my a green light on this being possible?

The LGA 1366 platform utilizes triple channel memory. In order to use this functionality, you would need to run either 3 or 6 modules.

So yes, you can do it... But you're losing a LOT of memory bandwidth by not utilizing the triple channel technology. You'd be effectively running at 1/3 of optimal bandwidth.

I would not suggest it. Go with 3x2 or 6x2. Another thing to mention would be that just because they're the same brand and model, does not necessarily mean that they will be able to run in interleaved mode. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You're better off doing something like this.

The LGA 1366 platform utilizes triple channel memory. In order to use this functionality, you would need to run either 3 or 6 modules.

So yes, you can do it... But you're losing a LOT of memory bandwidth by not utilizing the triple channel technology. You'd be effectively running at 1/3 of optimal bandwidth.

I would not suggest it. Go with 3x2 or 6x2. Another thing to mention would be that just because they're the same brand and model, does not necessarily mean that they will be able to run in interleaved mode. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You're better off doing something like this.

Oh thnx for that info.

Means i once more have to reconfig the setup i was going to go for.

I live in Denmark, and its not worth useing newegg for me.

But i have also changed my mind, and found i could only get 8gb ram with my budget, but u'v just thrown that ot the window too hehe... 4x2gb wouldnt work out with the triple channel, or at least not worth it. So i think im going to settle for 6gb and then just get another 6gb next time 3x2gb :)

Oh thnx for that info.

Means i once more have to reconfig the setup i was going to go for.

I live in Denmark, and its not worth useing newegg for me.

But i have also changed my mind, and found i could only get 8gb ram with my budget, but u'v just thrown that ot the window too hehe... 4x2gb wouldnt work out with the triple channel, or at least not worth it. So i think im going to settle for 6gb and then just get another 6gb next time 3x2gb :)

Triple and double sounds great, but in practice there is almost no difference in performance. I would go with 4 sticks, two in each set of slots.

Triple and double sounds great, but in practice there is almost no difference in performance. I would go with 4 sticks, two in each set of slots.

Whether little or not, why not take advantage of any increase in performance? Looks like he's gunning for quite a bit of RAM to begin with, so why not just get 3x2GB and then another 3x2 if he needs more later?

It is an X58 chipset, which means it can utilize triple channel. I say if the hat fits, wear it.

Back