• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a small upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prunecandy

ok i am looking to upgrade my graphics card in the near future and also my cpu,
heres my idea..either buy a 5850 to replace my 5770, then sell my 5770 and buy a amd phenom x4 with that money.. or buy another 5770 xfire it then buy a amd phenom x4
i have 260 to spend on this upgrade before selling things of course
so what do you guys think?
also might swtich to 470 because the prices are low and isnt it faster than the 5850?

Edit- forgot to mention that i want to be able to run battle field bad comany 2 Maxed out and metro at 1080 res and also i have a great cooler and want to oc the hell out of a quad core and get good 3dmark scores :p

Well personal experiance with X-Fire. It is nice I had a pair of 4850's that ran very well that way, though some games don't take advantage of them so its a set back sometimes :( Personally getting 1 better card would be idea expecially if the game can't use X-Fire yet. So going that route 5850 or 470 would be idea.

Now going for which card to get...
Im in the state now where im ready to upgrade myself and upgrade from my 285GTX. I'd love to get an nVidia card just to have the Physics aspect of things but... they run hot and use lots of power which if I want to OC im going to have to take into consideration with that. So really im leaning tward the 5850 that could crank upwards to 900-1000Mhz OC and have a very nice card for around $250-300.

Speed wise they are about even. Though the nVidia games will win out right on Tessilation games/benchmarks.

My vote goes for a 5850 currently.

ok that sounds like what im gonna do
then il take my 5770 sell it and buy myself a new quad core or six core
would you guys suggest buying a used 5850?.. as in will the warrante still be in effect even though it changed owners?

ok that sounds like what im gonna do
then il take my 5770 sell it and buy myself a new quad core or six core
would you guys suggest buying a used 5850?.. as in will the warrante still be in effect even though it changed owners?

If you can used is good if your ok with it. Me personally it must be new, I don't know why it just has to be. Though I have sold plenty of good hardware on the forums over the years.

i decided just to add another 5770 and have that hold out until the next gen of cards,
i do have one question though, with my current dual core processor running at 4ghz will i have a bottleneck?

Back