• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Mania !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cloudbreaker

Registered
I think, after 4 months of constant research, I have a reasonable Intel X58 Build. But then, an important question came up in conversation:

"Why are You going with a 256Bit GPU? Isn't that overkill? "

I threw out a "future-proofing" phrase, and left it at that. But, in the dark hours of the night, when all the worlds' asleep... The question comes up again. If I'm an ATI guy, does the 256Bit warrent the $65 more?

Background - I am not a fierce gamer, but would like to enjoy returning to this "my homeland" riding my new rig soon. Nothing cra-zy, but, if I'm spending $1,800 on a complete build (already have speakers and monitor), I don't want to think I cheaped out. I do enjoy my movies and Youtube though. Most importantly, I want to make the best purchase I can. Best Purchase: Strongest component (in measure of performance and reliability) for the least expensive amount.

Pointing me in a thought-out direction would be greatly appreciated. I do politely warn You: It would take a very well presented argument to influence me to take yet another look at nVidia.

If You are curious as to my current build...

Case - Lian Li PC-K62
Motherboard - Asus P6X58D LGA 1366
CPU - Intel i7 930 2.8GHz (to be overclocked to 3.8)
CPU HSF - Megahalem & 2 Scythe GT 1600's in Push/Pull
Memory - G. Skill Pi 1600 Cas 7 6GB Triple Channel
OS HHD - Kingston 64GB SSD
Storage HHD - Seagate B 1TB
PSU - Corsair 850w

Other - Case modded fans for 3 intake / 3 exhaust, plenty of cable mgt, wireless keyboard / mouse, 5.25" fan controller (with card reader & eSATA), and Beer.

Once again, thank You for looking this far, and for any thought You may put to these questions.

Back