• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT on 890GXM-G65 - no display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I've got an MSI 890GXM-G65 that came with the 1055T combo at Fry's, and a BFG 8800GT OC. The IGP works fine, and my 4870 works fine. The 8800GT won't give me any display output, though, regardless of settings. I've tried it in both PCI-E slots, with IGP disabled and "auto", both DVI ports, etc. Is there some kind of incompatibility with the chipset? I've found a few forum posts referring to issues with 8800GT on some 775 boards, but nothing on AMD boards.

In BIOS setting, did you make sure the primary display is set to PCIe and not PCI? Also you plugged the extra power to that 8800? Next set IGP to off, save & exit BIOS then shut down the PC, move the monitor cable to the 8800gt, power it up.

You may also need to flash the BIOS. On a different PC, download from MSI, their latest is 1.6 : http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=2012&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=656 click on BIOS tab then scroll down. Then save it to an USB memory stick, plug it in your MSI board, power it up, go to BIOS, look for M Flash and try flashing from there.

I didn't have any trouble with my board (MSI 890GXM as well) and on first time, the BIOS defaulted to PCIe card as primary, not the onboard IGP. I just turned IGP off the first time I found that option.

Back