• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning out Algae

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badbonji

Ok so I had some algae growing in my system about a month ago, and heard that vinegar was a decent way to flush it out when diluted. So a mix of Vinegar and water was running for 12 hours in my loop and it seemed to clear out the system fine. But more recently it has seemed to have grown back, after using distilled water and Feser additive. What is the best way to clean this out and then prevent it from happening again over a longer period?

Thanks,
Badbonji

clean it the same way, assuming it actually worked before, it might not have and why it came back. but i would use hot soapy water instead of vinegar.
what ratio did you use for the water and vinegar?

as for a great biocide get a silver kill coil or a bottle of pt nuke, links below.

silver kill coil

Silver Strip

PT nuke PHN

Adding some stuff to the loop won't help. It's still there. Algea doesn't mind a bit of viregear for a while, the slimy stuff protects it.

Don't know where you heard vinegar kills algea.

Tear the loop down, open every part, rinse the rad with boiling almost water many times and shake shake shake it many times. Scrub the blocks interior etc.

You have seen the marketing power of Feser and also how good their stuff really is.

Run a rag through every hose twice, pour almost boiling water through each hose.

And please use a proper biocide next time.

You have to do a 100% teardown, no less is setting you up for future issues.

Back