• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did i find my max memcontroller OC? i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

admilitaryman

Registered
I've been ocing and getting bsod's: 101 & 124 basically telling me that i needed to either raise vcore or qpi/uncore. I did this until i got to 185 bclk, now after raising up to 1.325v vcore and 1.25v qpi i get a memory controller BSOD. My ram is way under spec'd at like 1400mhz atm and temps are decent (around 70°C with prime95 and core dmg running)..i'm trying to find the absolute max of this thing atm, so I'll go as high as 85°C on temps before i back down. So..with the new memory BSOD; did i hit my max memory controller speed? Or is there another voltage I'm missing i could bump up?

bring that uncore voltage up and try again. try at 1.35 qpi vtt and then set to 1600 on mem

well i'm not sure i can set at 1600 on mem bc of the bclk being at 185..my multi is 21x because the asus rampage 2 extreme unlocks it..i was going to try decreasing the multi to 20x anyway though.

go to a 19 multi and try to up the bclk to 200 and should set mem to 1600 and see if that helps. some chips need really high qpi vtt, I have one that needs 1.4 just to get to 1450

i kept the 21x multi and increased qpi to 1.75v which was .025v higher than i had it..i'm in windows and feels good..altho i'm a little jumpy..waitin for the BSOD lol.

I had a question but forgot it so i'll skip to my second question..at 1.369v vcore, i'm guessing a max of 74°C isnt bad for full load temp is it?

*Edit*
Feels like this new C0/C1 stepping i7 is cooler than the D0 i had to RMA...altho i did hit 4.1ghz at a very low voltage with the D0

Oh i remember my question now..its one i've never gotten a clear answer on. Which prime95 torture test do you recommend using? I know blend is mostly for RAM, i've always used Large FFT's bc i think its stresses the entire system as a whole, which is a lot better than just testing the CPU with small fft's...right?

I'm starting to get excited now...3.9ghz stable w/HT on. Max temp is 75°C with Prime95 on Large fft's and Core DMG at the same time. (Prime95 + OCCT linpack doesnt get it quite as hot)...I remembered my D0 doing well but not this well without turning HT off. Would you use this as a 24/7 OC?

Vcore- Bios set 1.325; CPU-Z reports up to 1.363v and HWMonitor reports up to 1.37v
QPI/Dram- 1.275v

Will add temps with just prime95 soon

I made it to 4ghz stable..A lot of what i read says dont go above 1.375 vcore...it took me 1.381vcore and 1.3v qpi to get 190x21 stable. My temps are only 74-75°C with Core dmg and maybe 70°C max with prime 95. My temps arent bad for the vcore..does that mean its still unsafe with 1.381 (CPUz reporting up to 1.422)??

I know i can go higher than 4ghz but dont wanna destroy this processor while doing it...it wont be a 24/7 OC though.

My 24/7 Vcore for 4.2GHz was 1.45V....max temps with Prime95 were around 94C.

Didn't bother me a bit until I got the electricity bill, then I backed it down to 3.8GHz for 24/7 :p

In otherwords, you're fine ;)

Prime95 blend is my preference for stressing the whole system :)

I have a question for you miahallen, lets say i have the best cooling in the world...whats the max vcore for this chip? I've read 1.55v in the specs but i hear a lot of people saying 1.375v...but i think 1.375v is related to something else like the PLL or something. Can u confirm what the max voltage for the i7 920 is for me? I hooked my multimeter up to get an exact vcore reading...it's set to 1.381 in bios but readin 1.422 @ max.. i'm assuming if the max voltage is 1.55v i should go by what my meter says? And my last question..how do you feal about LLC? I know it requires more voltage for the same OC when its off but what do u think about it?

BTW i'm calling intel, i sent my i7 920 D0 back for the RMA and they send me a C0/C1...wtf? I'm getting my d0 back..

Back