• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a Wireless G card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swan14

Registered
G'day,

Can someone recommend a wireless G card that definitely works with Win7.

Unfortunately I recently bought a D-link 510 but it's a dud (well it works but extremely slow).

Thanks in advance.

Well I have the D-Link DWA-547.

2 days after I started trying to get it installed I finally managed to get it working. Had to make sure it didn't install that software it comes with.

If you're willing to put the effort in it's so worth it! It's a wireless N card but, like almost all N products I know of, it supports G and I think B as well.

Well I have the D-Link DWA-547.

2 days after I started trying to get it installed I finally managed to get it working. Had to make sure it didn't install that software it comes with.

If you're willing to put the effort in it's so worth it! It's a wireless N card but, like almost all N products I know of, it supports G and I think B as well.

Yeh I did have a play around with some of the drivers. The general thought on a few forums that I was reading is that its just crap with W7. A few people got a few improvements on speed by messing around with a few different drivers but nothing near 100% utilisation.

I plan on streaming 1080p stuff.

I assume wireless G can still handle 1080p?

No idea, I just use my connection for file sharing and it seems fine for that.

The big problem apart from drivers is the range with D-Link products. I had to buy a wireless expander for a tenner but now I get amazingly good speeds, very close to a wired connection. Obviously add about 2-3ms of ping but that's it. Really impressed at the card bar the drivers and range issues.

Wired
823515006.png

Wireless
823513622.png

Ran at exactly the same time on a laptop wired up and this wireless card.
Ran 10 tests on each. All are very similar to these. Speed is within 10Mb/s of each other and the wired ping is 2-4ms faster on average.

Like I said, a great card if you can get it working :p
Really don't install the software it comes with and just let windows do its thing. Let it find the drivers but not the software, should sort everything out.

Back