• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I kill it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPS

Hello

I think I just screwed up this motherboard dfi x48 ut t2r. I just got this from a friend and was in a rush to get it installed and get the system running. I saw that cpu required a 8pin power connector and I had a cable that was 2 4pin to 8pin. So without paying much attention I plugged the 2 4pins into the ODD/HDD section on the psu and went on doing the rest. Once I came to boot I gave it power I saw a little light on the motherboard and when I pressed the power on button nothing happened and that light didn't come on again. I tried a normal 4pin cpu connector and that didn't work either. That after actually processing what could be wrong I realized what I've done. I had a look at the wires on already attached 4pin into the ODD/HDD section for the HDDs and saw that power comes out of 3/4 pins and that means when that 8pin was connected into the cpu power was sent down the negative line...I feel like a idiot lol. Is the motherboard gone?

Thanks

unplug the power cord and Remove the cmos battery, jumper the bios to clear memory for 30 seconds and remove all your memory except one stick in the appropriate first slot and see if it will post.

Last edited:
I doubt you killed the mobo like that... might have freaked it out, but that's all i can think of.

Now if the CPU made it is a different story... since you got the CPU power wrong, it may well have fried the CPU, but i doubt that too... it more than likely has a safety feature built in to idiot proof it, so just pull all power, pull the battery, and see if you can get it to POST.

Back